MSTs with Dead Skins: The Tutorial (UPDATED 07/02/09!)

Guides on how to make skins, modify JPOG and much more

Re: MSTs with Dead Skins: The Tutorial (UPDATED 07/02/09!)

Unread postby Integrity Zero » Mon, 1st Feb 2010 0:24

I've never had black models appear, although I have had white models. if they're the same thing really, then that means (most likely) the files for your dinosaur (probably the .inx files) haven't been told to match up with the correct skin (for each differently skinned dinosaur, you must match up its model files with a specific skin). If this doesn't happen, the model won't know what the dinosaur's skin is supposed to look like and will switch to a default, monochromatic (one-color) skin.

And sorry about the confusion with the pictures, everyone. Let me see if I can whip something up to make it a lot clearer.
I believe that He loves you where you are
I believe that you've seen the hands of God
I believe that you'll know it when
You're back in His arms again

Mark Schultz, "Back in His Arms Again"
Integrity Zero
Predator
Predator

User Title: Call me Izzy.

Unread postby <>< » Mon, 1st Feb 2010 7:58

I thought it was pretty clear when I read through it, myself.

Sgt_Angel
<><
Predator
Predator

Unread postby abtheo » Sun, 2nd May 2010 9:51

Integrity Zero wrote:I've never had black models appear, although I have had white models. if they're the same thing really, then that means (most likely) the files for your dinosaur (probably the .inx files) haven't been told to match up with the correct skin (for each differently skinned dinosaur, you must match up its model files with a specific skin). If this doesn't happen, the model won't know what the dinosaur's skin is supposed to look like and will switch to a default, monochromatic (one-color) skin.

I've got the white model bug too. Couple questions; Do you have to set the right skin for every dinosaur in the digsite? (They're all white too). What's a 'normal' skin setting? I've just been punching in random 1 digit numbers. And lastly, in the .inx files, where do you input the skin? I added the line 'Skin = 2;' after the line 'Model = X;'.
Thanks. :grin:
Long time reader, full time noobie.
abtheo
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Unread postby brabagul123 » Mon, 7th Jun 2010 9:25

thanks i guess :dry:
brabagul123
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby lexmac0 » Wed, 10th Aug 2011 3:38

Sorry to be bringing old threads back to life and all :sweatdrop: - but (this being probably one of the most detailed MSTs on MG, and also because I have been searching since 11pm (four hours, respectively)), like several other people on both this thread, and across the site, I am experiencing the error in which my Deinonychus - upon hatching - turns out with a monotone-black skin (and before you ask, yes I have checked the TML, all the skins come out labelled correctly and without any failures or problems, yes I have quintruple checked all the unit/model linking files - the .ini and .inx files linking with the model files, in which all the "Raptor" codes have been replaced with Deino - remembering the 00 over on the hexi-side - blahblahblah). :x3: So in all, I know quite a few people have experienced this error, and I am almost a trillion percent certain that I have followed and copied the tutorial 100%, only differing with the renaming of various features... so yeah - any known fixes or ideas as to what I may have done wrong??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/screenhunter04aug100327.jpg/ As you can see, the Raptor (foreground) still shows the skin, as do the Homalocephale and Gallimimus, however the Deinonychus does not, showing only a blacked-out model.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/screenhunter05aug100328.jpg/ The same is present within the hatchery...

Any ideas, anyone??
I don't really JPOG anymore... But I do YouTube! Check it out, if ya have some free time and wanna see some s#!ts and giggles! :D

lexmac0
Herbivore
Herbivore

User Title: SPANJAYtheLION

Unread postby MC_Jpog » Wed, 24th Aug 2011 22:17

Integrity Zero wrote:All right. Now you have to edit the footer. The footer starts with the NINTH (9) set of four hex values AFTER the very last dinosaur's first name. It should be marked by something like this:

Code: Select all
00 00 00 00 02 00 02 00

Which is to say, four sets of 00 hex values and then a set of 02 00 02 00 (or 03 00 02 00) values. You're going to have to replace this footer with a new one, as outlined below:

(Note, the footer changes depending on how many SKINS, not dinosaurs, are involved).

Code for the Footer of a Six-Dinosaur/12-Skin File:
Code: Select all
00 00 00 00 02 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00
01 00 00 00 02 00 02 00 02 00 00 00 03 00 00 00
02 00 00 00 03 00 02 00 04 00 00 00 05 00 00 00
03 00 00 00 04 00 02 00 06 00 00 00 07 00 00 00
04 00 00 00 05 00 02 00 08 00 00 00 09 00 00 00
05 00 00 00 06 00 02 00 0A 00 00 00 0B 00 00 00

Note: The differences between SKINS and DINOSAURS is ESSENTIAL to coding this type of TML correctly!

All right, now for the last part of Constant Editting: the constants themselves.
If you think of four hex values as being one "column" (as they will appear to be on your hex editor), a pattern quickly emerges:

First Column: The first hex value increases by one for every line.
Second Column: The first hex value increases by one for every line.
Third Column: The first hex value increases by two and REMAINS EVEN for every line.
Fourth Column: The first hex value increases by two and REMAINS ODD for every line.

Note additionally that you only put as much of the footer as is necessary for your skin. Your footer MUST end with some value from the fourth column (as displayed above). That number MUST be equal to:

Number of Skins - 1 (in hex)
(Not the number of dinosaurs!)

So, for example, that twelve (0C) skin, your footer must end with the value from the fourth column that reads eleven (0B).

All right, now the last part, the constants. You'll find that there are two constants: one at the top (the first value in the third column of hex values), and one at the bottom, the set of four hex values DIRECTLY before the code for the first dinosaur.

This is the tutorial which for me isn't sooooo confusing.

Tomorow I may try it but just a question: I've already readed, understanded (very well I could say :amused: ) and practiced maximusthedark tutorial and now I'm confortable in that part. My question is: this is a tutorial that looks like the other 2 from Doocszo and ERC so, do I reallly really really need to read the other 2, just asking :pleased: ?

Btw congratulations for the tutorial :clap: the only part I may get confused is the part which you talk about footer, I read other users answers (till page 2) and I've read if I want to add a new dinosaur, I need to introduce new numbers. Does your raptor2 count like a new dinosaur?:P
I also have other final thing: Can you explain to me what does that part means (the one that I quote ??), because its the more confusing part :stoned:
MC_Jpog
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

Unread postby MC_Jpog » Thu, 25th Aug 2011 12:20

Damn it! I've already tried, I did everything like you told us to do and when I go check, before the Cleaning Up Section you wrote you say to check if ConvertCCT will extract all the skins from dinos_judithriver_b (I used this one coz' I want to add another Tyrannosaurus) and when ConvertCCT is about to extract dinos_judithriver_b it crashes :'(. The only part I may have done wrong is the one you talk about changing the number of skins and dinosaurs, I skipped the part of the dinosaurs 'coz I can't find the number of dinosaurs :(

Help please ;(
MC_Jpog
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

Unread postby lexmac0 » Sat, 3rd Sep 2011 15:25

MC_Jpog wrote:Damn it! I've already tried, I did everything like you told us to do and when I go check, before the Cleaning Up Section you wrote you say to check if ConvertCCT will extract all the skins from dinos_judithriver_b (I used this one coz' I want to add another Tyrannosaurus) and when ConvertCCT is about to extract dinos_judithriver_b it crashes :'(. The only part I may have done wrong is the one you talk about changing the number of skins and dinosaurs, I skipped the part of the dinosaurs 'coz I can't find the number of dinosaurs :(

Help please ;(

I know you made this post over a week ago, but I was wondering if you still needed any help? You know me, always willing to give a helping hand :lul: Gimme a shout if you need anything!

ALSO: Anyone having troubles regarding black skins, (i.e. the clones work fine, but the skins don't show), I found the fix - and you'll be surprised how simple it is!
I don't really JPOG anymore... But I do YouTube! Check it out, if ya have some free time and wanna see some s#!ts and giggles! :D

lexmac0
Herbivore
Herbivore

User Title: SPANJAYtheLION

Unread postby repto123 » Mon, 30th Jan 2012 14:03

Sorry if i'm reviving a dead topic here but please help me I'm a noob. I just can't understand the part of editing the footer I have 6 dino skin files (3 dead, 3 live) just please tell me what to do, maybe with some pictures or something. Sorry if I'm annoying right now but I'm desperate. thanks in advance!
repto123
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: REPTO

Previous

Return to Tutorials