How to replace Skins on OG

Whatever doesn't doesn't fit the submission requirements, it'll be posted here.
Pruned every 60 days.

Unread postby Eternal_Rocker_Chick » Sat, 26th May 2007 13:24

Have you checked that the settings that you're using to save as DDS are EXACTLY like the ones shown in the screeny? If it's not exactly the same, then it won't be the same size.
[url=http://o-eternal-o.deviantart.com/][img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OlIrXdcBUNA/RnK5AbBuSmI/AAAAAAAAAIE/yvytUqMgZps/s400/DuckParty.png[/img][/url]
In case you're wondering, I'm the upside-down one
Eternal_Rocker_Chick
Apex Hunter
Apex Hunter

User Title: Talking Duck

Unread postby dannybob » Sat, 26th May 2007 13:35

I dont no if they are exactly correct but wich screeny r u talking bout cos on the tutorial i only find 2 and they are iabout the hex thingy. I couldnt find the one showing how it should be saved
dannybob
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby machf » Sat, 26th May 2007 17:02

Carcharodontosaurus wrote:Hey, im using paint shop pro to do my skins, and my T-Rex skin came out brilliant when I tested it, only his teeth messed up, they are not transparent and what you use for PS doesnt work on psp, should I just colour his skin colour around the teeth? (Its silver).
Thanks in advance.

Well, if you're using Paint Shop Pro, I suggest you work with TGA files.

A) If you used ConvertCCT, you'll have both a texture map and an opacity map (if the dinosaur uses opacity maps) in .bmp format. Open both in PSP, and add the opacity map as a mask for the texture map, then save the resulting image as an uncompressed 32-bit TGA image.

B) If you manually extracted the texture as a .dds file with a hex editor, then use that DDS Converter 2.1 app to save the image as a TGA file. Make sure you check the "Save alpha (if any)" box and uncheck the "Build mipmaps" one in "Options". Then you can open that TGA file in PSP.

Now you can edit (paint) the texture as you want.

After you're done editing the texture, you can save it as a compressed 24-bit TGA file.

Then you can use that DDS Converter 2.1 program again to convert the TGA file into a DDS file. As when converting from DDS to TGA, make sure you check the "Save alpha (if any)" box and uncheck the "Build mipmaps" one in "Options". Also, select "DXT5" from the "DXTc format" set of radio buttons.

Now you should have your .dds file ready to add/replace into the .tml file with a hex editor. Saving the TGA file as "24-bit compressed" should also have taken care of the incorrect size problem.

I think extracting the contents of a TML file to DDS files and vice-versa is simple enought that I could write a small program to handle it... if I have the time to do it.
machf
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby dannybob » Mon, 28th May 2007 11:13

Well that helped me, Thanks a lot, A very lot :D

Ok im getting somewhere now. but im not understanding the teeth thing and the magic eraser. I used it on the teeth but it turns out like this, and I know thats wrong. I deleted the alpha 1 channel too, and when i try to use it on the other channels it says it could not use the magic eraser because target channels do not cover composite. Could sum1 plz help me

Don't double post. Read the forum rules!
dannybob
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby DeinonychusX » Mon, 28th May 2007 12:25

How do You re texture ? You know like , How t-joe did his skins and stuff

and whats the best tolerence for teeth transparency?
The Strangest Guy on the forum...
DeinonychusX
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

Unread postby machf » Tue, 29th May 2007 22:20

dannybob wrote:Ok im getting somewhere now. but im not understanding the teeth thing and the magic eraser. I used it on the teeth but it turns out like this, and I know thats wrong. I deleted the alpha 1 channel too, and when i try to use it on the other channels it says it could not use the magic eraser because target channels do not cover composite. Could sum1 plz help me

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but when using Paint Shop Pro, if you have a 32-bit image with Alpha, the Alpha is used as a "mask" - meaning that any changes you make won't apply on any areas of the picture that are "masked out", or, in this case, that are set to be transparent. It may be a good idea to copy the mask (alpha, transparency, whatever you want to call it) temporarily to another file, remove it from the original texture, make any changes to the texture, then add the mask again, then save. it's possible the tool you used also erased the transparency info from the alpha channel, and that's why the teeth lost their transaprency...
machf
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Re: How to replace Skins on OG

Unread postby Dark Star » Fri, 15th Jun 2007 20:42

I'm not getting anywhere! I want to skin a Spinosaurus, but I don't get what I am supposed to copy and paste. :?
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby ceratosaurus » Fri, 15th Jun 2007 22:57

copy and paste the data and then find the spinosaur skin and paste it where YOUR data started at like DDS paste yours at the DDS part of the spinosaur data
ceratosaurus
Predator
Predator

User Title: The master of Ceratosaurus Nasicornis

Unread postby Dark Star » Fri, 15th Jun 2007 23:17

It was all a jumbled sentence. Could you repeat it again?
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby ceratosaurus » Fri, 15th Jun 2007 23:23

ok. So if you have gotton your skin into dds form right.Now you go open the chenni file. Now find the spinosaur Data...ughh i'm sort of bad at this part :( ok so find the spinosaurs data which is at the 400c0 now go copy your skins data. Ok now go to the spinosaurs' data.Now paste your skin's data at the spinosaurus' data start your pasteing on the DDS of spinos data..sorry does this help i'm sort of bad at explaining
ceratosaurus
Predator
Predator

User Title: The master of Ceratosaurus Nasicornis

Unread postby Dark Star » Fri, 15th Jun 2007 23:38

Nope, doesn't help at all. I don't even know how to do STEP 1 (which is very odd, because I'm very smart for a 5th grader, which is very odd)! Ah well, I come back in two years and bug you again. :wink:
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby DeinonychusX » Sat, 16th Jun 2007 0:42

Dark Star wrote:Nope, doesn't help at all. I don't even know how to do STEP 1 (which is very odd, because I'm very smart for a 5th grader, which is very odd)! Ah well, I come back in two years and bug you again. :wink:

You'll learn eventually I learned a few months ago.
The Strangest Guy on the forum...
DeinonychusX
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

Unread postby Dark Star » Tue, 19th Jun 2007 0:10

DinoNerd wrote:I was wondering, since i find it hard in the Hex editors to find the exact lines i need out of so many, i was wondering if people would be able to post their saved DDS files of the original skins so that people can download it. This would make it easier that you don't have to search through the lines every time and easier for people like me who cant find the exact lines. Don't flame me if this can't be done i have never skinned for JPOG and really want to.

Would someone be so kind to do that for the Chenini and Morision Formation A.tml? I'd appreciate it very much, as will Ryan and that other guy who requested a skin. I really want to skin, and think I can give people some very good skins. I really want to focus on skinning Spino to a Japanese Godzilla for that guy and a Carcha and Ourano (skinned to Iguan) for myself. Oh, and I would love to skin Dryosaurus into a Compy for Ryan and his Compy mod, which I helped him on.
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby Tyrant_TR » Sat, 23rd Jun 2007 22:42

Hey just a question. Instead of opening the TML's with a hex editor and extracting the skin, could you just use the drag and drop converter and get the skin you want, edit it, turn it into a DDs, then put it back into the TML?
Tyrant_TR
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby Legion » Sun, 24th Jun 2007 9:53

Tyrant_TR wrote:Hey just a question. Instead of opening the TML's with a hex editor and extracting the skin, could you just use the drag and drop converter and get the skin you want, edit it, turn it into a DDs, then put it back into the TML?

that's what the tutorial says... so, yes.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

PreviousNext

Return to Mod/Skin Junkyard