Setup.exe "Play Game" Doesn't Work

Game structure files (fslhunt.ini, eng.txt, research.ini, constant.ini, bldmenu.ini, etc) doubts

Setup.exe "Play Game" Doesn't Work

Unread postby The Eccentric Gamer » Wed, 15th Jul 2015 18:08

Hello, everyone.

Having seen Jurassic World not too long ago, I was inspired to reinstall JPOG on my powerful Windows 8.1 computer. It works very fine when launched from the "SimJP" shortcut. However, the model quality in this mode is set to "Medium," as you might be aware, so when I went to Setup.exe, I set all the graphics to "High."

But upon clicking "Play Game," the blank SimJP.exe command prompt popped up and...that was it. The game itself doesn't launch at all. Not even any error messages. Can anyone help me with this? I would really love to play JPOG with the highest possible settings.

PS: No mods are installed - this is the stock version of the game. I used to have Jurassic Park Legacy's Film Canon Mod 2.0 before I uninstalled it, but now there's no trace of it.
The Eccentric Gamer
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Re: Setup.exe "Play Game" Doesn't Work

Unread postby V-Raptor » Wed, 15th Jul 2015 19:10

Try changing it in the .ini, there should be an option for it. Don't remember where though.

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus

User Title: Nonexistant.

Unread postby The Eccentric Gamer » Wed, 15th Jul 2015 19:25

What, you mean the options.ini (located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Interactive\Blue Tongue Software\Jurassic Park Operation Genesis\JPOG, in case you're wondering)? It reads this for me:

Code: Select all
ScreenWidth = 1600;
ScreenHeight = 1200;
ScreenDepth = 32;
ScreenBestZ = true;
ScreenWindowed = false;
TerrainQuality = 2;
Grass = true;
WaterReflection = true;
ModelQuality = 2;
Effects = 2;
TerrainDetail = 2;
TextureQuality = 2;
DrawDistance = 2;

Anyway, I'm not sure how it helps, because they all appear to be set to the highest setting (2 is the highest, from what I can tell). It's actually making sure the game runs like this that I'm having trouble with.
The Eccentric Gamer
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby V-Raptor » Thu, 16th Jul 2015 2:35

Ah, I'm sorry, I misunderstood the probem. In any case, if the options.ini has model quality at 2, launching it through the shortcut should use those options. Does for me anyway.

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus

User Title: Nonexistant.

Unread postby The Eccentric Gamer » Fri, 17th Jul 2015 22:30

Well, tampering with options.ini simply has no effect on the SimJP shortcut for me.
The Eccentric Gamer
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby The Eccentric Gamer » Fri, 17th Jul 2015 23:08

Scratch that - I am happy to say that I have (somehow) solved the problem! :D

What I did was reinstall the program to a folder outside the Program Files in my hard drive, following the advice of a forum post I saw elsewhere. I then simply changed the options via Setup.exe, clicked "OK," ("Play Game" still doesn't work, for some reason; clicking "OK" simply exits out of the program with the changes saved to options.ini), and ran it via the SimJP shortcut as V-Raptor described. High-quality models, as I wished.

I'm not sure whether or not any of this played a direct role in solving my problem, but I guess it doesn't matter now, haha.

I appreciate the effort you put in to help me solve this problem, V-Raptor. :)
The Eccentric Gamer
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Return to Gameplay