Guide to Cloning Dinosaurs

Animal/Building ini, inx and nwt doubts

Re: Guide to Cloning Dinosaurs

Unread postby irazor1703 » Tue, 15th Jun 2010 17:54

I've made some new dinos, which use models of an old ones and i want to make new dinos use different skins (want them to be different from "father").
is there a way to make it?
I've searched this site for a long time and didn't find the answer.
irazor1703
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Unread postby jhorn » Mon, 28th Jun 2010 18:47

everytime i do it my game crashes!

help anyone? :(
jhorn
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby jedidiah940 » Tue, 29th Jun 2010 10:40

jhorn wrote:everytime i do it my game crashes!

help anyone? :(

Did you remember to check everything like changing the model in the inx files.
Furniture evolving into people:
Chairs become chairpeople
Chairpeople become chairmen and chairwomen
jedidiah940
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby jhorn » Tue, 29th Jun 2010 17:51

Did you remember to check everything like changing the model in the inx files

no how do i do that ?

and how do i get a thing on the bottom of my message with a picture and a phrase?
jhorn
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby jhorn » Tue, 29th Jun 2010 18:29

i followed every step and it worked but there is no species name when i get into the game?
jhorn
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby jedidiah940 » Wed, 30th Jun 2010 3:28

jhorn wrote:i followed every step and it worked but there is no species name when i get into the game?

Did you edit the English Text in the GUI folder?
Furniture evolving into people:
Chairs become chairpeople
Chairpeople become chairmen and chairwomen
jedidiah940
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby Zillatamer » Tue, 6th Jul 2010 12:13

how can you change the new ones skin?
Zillatamer
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby paxustyrannosaur » Sat, 20th Nov 2010 1:59

:grin: I think I found a modification for new dinosaurs. For example lets take a raptor and change it into a deinnonychus but we cant tell the difference between them. Maybe with helpful skinning tools you can copy a raptors dead and live skins and change the live skin to your hearts content. Then when we put the files back together we have a perfect deinnonychus skin. Hey Im just a newby so if Im wrong just tell me. I dont really know much about modding but Im startin' to get the hang of it. :clap:
paxustyrannosaur
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby Giganotosaurus Rex » Sat, 4th Dec 2010 6:43

Didnt work for me. I tried it with Deinonychus, and as soon as it got to Small Carnivores the screen went black and the game crashed. I had to delete all the dieno file changes to get the game working again. Help?
Giganotosaurus Rex
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: G-Rex

Unread postby paxustyrannosaur » Sun, 2nd Jan 2011 3:25

Well :sweatdrop: Maybe the only possible way to have a deino you would have to just edit the name in the Eng.txt from raptor to deinonychus and tweak the unit files like the configuration files and change the name to deino. Then you can add your skin and you will probably see raptor replaced with deinonychus. :amused: Thats what I see in packs like to OGPM v.2. when they replace carcharadontosaurus with giganotosaurus and to make it look different they add their WWD skin.
paxustyrannosaur
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby blackfrog » Thu, 24th Feb 2011 18:15

help! HELP!!!!!!!!

I do all the things in the tutorial but when i go to the hatcery the new dinosaur (hypsilophodon) hasn't got a name! :cuss: :cuss: :bored: :bored:

HELP! pleeaaase!!!!!!!!!

I tried all the possible solutions to the problem but they doesn't work. :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

any ideas?
blackfrog
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby RewindTheWyvern » Tue, 5th Apr 2011 14:06

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I recently reinstalled JP:OG and decided to see if this forum is still a float, I didn't expect that 4 years on my topic would still be semi-active. I am - well, was - Pyroraptor. :) It won't let me access me old account, so I couldn't post using that, but reading the comments (and my OP, which I wrote when I was 15) I'm seeing there's a lot of confusion, so I thought I'd re-write the guide and make it a lot clearer.

Guide To Cloning Dinosaurs - Redux

JP:OG has a wide range of dinosaurs for the player to choose from, ranging from the humble Dryosaurus to the infamous Tyrannosaurus Rex. Now as amazing as some of these dinosaurs are, some of us grew up with dinosaurs on the brain (and covering our bedroom walls!) and, as such, have our favourites that don't appear in the game. This guide will allow you to copy a dinosaur found in the game, edit it, rename it, and then place it into the game without replacing the template dinosaur. For the purposes of this guide I shall produce a Deinonychus using the Velociraptor as a template.

Step 1: Firstly, lets locate the files we'll need to be editing. All of the files for this mod are found in the following directory and its subsidiaries: (this is for Windows XP, I don't know for other systems.)

Program Files > Universal Interactive > Blue Tongue Software > Jurassic Park Operation Genesis > JPOG > Data

Found it? Okay, next we need to find the files for the dinosaurs. These are found in the Units folder. Now, each unit it the game (trees, dinosaurs, goats, cows, cleaners) has three files associated with it within this directory; one text file (titled the dinosaurs name), one NWT file (titled the dinosaurs name.nwt) and one INX file (titled the dinosaurs name). Scroll down till you find the dinosaur you wish to use as the template - for us, the Velociraptor - and copy all three of these files, pasting them into the same folder. Now, rename these folders using the same system. For example; raptor, raptor, raptor.nwt could be renamed to deino, deino, deino.nwt.

Step 2: Now that we have a copy of these files, you need to open the text file using notepad, wordpad or a similar program. This file contains all of the stats for that dinosaur, from pack size to price, and can allow you to customise the dinosaur to your desires. A word of warning, however, do not edit values unless you know what they do. Luckily, most are self explanatory; Health, Lifespan, FoodReq, FlockSize, for example, and feel free to ask in here if you want to know what something means, I'll do my best to answer. For your first attempt and cloning I recommend you leave these files alone, so that if your game crashes it will be easier to locate the problem.

Now, cloning a dinosaur requires changing three of these values. These are;

Name=xxxxx, (all lower case)
Directory=AUnitXxxxx; (capitalised first letter)
ScreenName=$Unit_xxxxx; (all lower case)

These three can be changed to whatever you like, but try to keep them case correct and change only the writing i've replaced with x's, not the punctuation or the other writing. For this mod, I changed them to;

Name=deino,
Directory=AUnitDeino;
ScreenName=$Unit_deino;

Once you have changed these values and finished any other editing of the animal, save the file and close.

Step 3: Now return to the Data folder and locate the text file 'Dinolist'. Open the file and place the lower case title you gave to your dinosaur in the same format as the other dinosaurs in the list. For example;

raptor,
deino,
cerato,

Save and close.

Step 4: Okay, we're nearing the end now. Next we need to edit the dig-site list, to enable access to the dinosaur. The file controlling this is found in the Data folder under the name of FslHunt. Open this file, and then search for the name of the site you'd like to place your dinosaur at. Seeing as Deinonychus fossils are found in North America, I'll place them at Judith River A. Press Ctrl + F and search for Judith River A and locate this line;

reqdinos = { anky, alberto, pachy };

Place your dinosaur in this line, maintaining the current dinosaurs and punctuation.

reqdinos = { anky, deino, alberto, pachy };

Remember to ensure the same case. Save and close.

Step 5: Okay, now the dinosaur should be enabled in the game, all that's left is to change the name. The file controlling dinosaur names (and all dialogue within the game, if you fancy messing around with visitor messages) is found in the following directory;

Data > GUI > Locales

Select the language you have your game set in (I'll assume English) and open the file. Press Ctrl + F and search for Unit_allo. This will take you to the name values. You will need to place your dinosaur in here in the same format as those already present, like so;

Unit_allo "Allosaurus";
Unit_deino "Deinonychus";
Unit_spino "Spinosaurus";

The number of spaces is not important, but the speech marks and semi-colon are, so make sure you have them. Just missing the semi-colon at the end will cause your game to crash on start-up. Save and close.

Finished This should be everything you need to clone a dinosaur. Just start up your game, enter site B and select the dig-site you allocated your dinosaur to. You should then be able to produce them from the hatchery. I'm uncertain as to whether this mod affects saved games, although I'll try it at some point.

Thank for reading, and I hope this guide was helpful.

Troubleshooting So, you followed this guide, and yet the game crashes on loading or just as the dinosaur is finished in the hatchery. Here's a few things to check, and if none of these help then please leave a comment and your problems. Remember, you can always follow the guide in reverse, undoing all of your changes, which will return your game to normal.

Punctuation: The files for this game are sensitive to all of the punctuation present, so if you remove any, forget to include any or add any that the game does not recognise, it will crash. To solve this, go back through the files you've edited and check all of the punctuation and letter case is the same as those for other units.

Incorrect files: A simple mistake to make, but it will create some weird bugs and crashes. Make sure you copy the three files specific to the original dinosaur and relabel them all appropriate to the new dinosaur.

Incorrect attributes: As I mentioned earlier, editing the incorrect attribute in any of the folders can cause problems. This is most evident in the dinosaur's stats folder (the first text file we edited). Don't edit any of the attributes in here unless you know what they effect. Likewise, don't replace a number value with lexis, or any words with numbers. Ensure you maintain the same type of value and all of the punctuation for any unit.
RewindTheWyvern
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Unread postby argentinevol » Sat, 28th Apr 2012 3:53

Thanks for the tutorial super helpful :)
He has a wife you know.
-Pontius Pilate
argentinevol
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Braves Fan

Unread postby spinotooth » Sun, 20th May 2012 9:12

Hi
I'm having kind of a problem: I cloned the Dryo to be a Compy, but since the Dryo is afraid for, well, nearly everything, so is my clone, and the clone is a carnivore, so they are always panicking! And the compy was a pack animal, so them being spread around the enclosure doesn't help... I tried changing TClass to Raptor (a carnivore which lives in packs), but it doesn't change (after this I think TClass is "DinoRank", but i might be mistaking). I also tied copying the .nwt (What does it actually do? Discribe the reactions of the dinosaur to different kinds of situations?) and most of the .ini of the raptor to the compy, but it still panicked.
Can anybody help me, please?

Spinotooth
spinotooth
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby jokay_ » Mon, 21st May 2012 22:44

Hi,
have you tried to follow this guide:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7885 ??
jokay_