Admin advice

Do you have problems reading and it's not your glasses? Does the board suddenly decide to turn on you and glitch to infinity? Well, post your problems and suggestions here!

Admin advice

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Wed, 22nd Jan 2014 18:18

Edit: Make a bloody forum about JP Builder; it's extremely popular on facebook and will get you some Google hits. Not to mention the 2015 movie.

As a 5-year veteran of forum administrating with many active users, I see a problem sticking out like a sore thumb in Modding Genesis.

Honestly one of you needs to take the time to clean up all these old posts, and old forums nobody uses like the Role Playing. Throw them in a locked junkyard forum at the bottom of the index in case you need to reference the posts.
That way people won't join and say. "oh, a dead forum? I think I'll leave now."

It was hell seeing my favorite group of people and favorite role play we started on Nintendo Nsider Forums - the Yoshi Bodyguards - decay into an inactive waste of cyberspace.
But there comes a time when you've got to drag the old dog in the back and shoot it.

Seriously if you plan on keeping this website online, clean up the 6 month-old posts and make the place look fresh and clean.
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
User avatar
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 8th Jun 2010 14:46
Gender: Male
User Title: Predators don't hunt when they're not hungry; only humans do.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby Kovu » Wed, 22nd Jan 2014 22:05

Honestly... I doubt anyone here is 'planning' to keep this place alive. It may remain up and running, and some of the veterans may return to do some posts from time to time... but that doesn't really change the fact it's a dead place ;)
Image
User avatar
Kovu
Park Admin
Park Admin
 
Posts: 2373
Joined: Fri, 5th Jan 2007 23:44
Location: on top of the foodchain...
Gender: Male
User Title: Voilà le tigre!

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby Legion » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 0:37

messagefromdrsattler wrote:Edit: Make a bloody forum about JP Builder; it's extremely popular on facebook and will get you some Google hits. Not to mention the 2015 movie.

If I were to make changes for popularity and page hits, JP:Builder would be the last thing I'd add anyway.
I don't enjoy the mechanics, I don't enjoy the farmville-style moneygrabbing schemes, and I don't like the sort of community that such a thing attracts.
As a 5-year veteran of forum administrating with many active users

And I've been running MG since it was 3 years old, and was a moderator/co-admin on a few other communities. Your point?
Honestly one of you needs to take the time to clean up all these old posts, and old forums nobody uses like the Role Playing. Throw them in a locked junkyard forum at the bottom of the index in case you need to reference the posts.

Old posts are there for a reason, and the forum rules to prevent necroing are there too.
Forums nobody uses pretty much means all forums except General and Happy, I'm also not much of an endorser of "close it up and throw it in the bin" method, it only muddles things up and makes room for reposts of reposts (with due cause since it'd be in such a cluttered place no one could make head or tails of it)
That way people won't join and say. "oh, a dead forum? I think I'll leave now."

No, it won't. It will just make a bigger mess of an already big mess and throw sand in the eyes of new users. That's not the way I do things. If someone wants to join and engage with what little of the community is still around, they are free to do so. If they see little activity and would rather go to a more active community, they are free to do so as well.
It was hell seeing my favorite group of people and favorite role play we started on Nintendo Nsider Forums - the Yoshi Bodyguards - decay into an inactive waste of cyberspace.
But there comes a time when you've got to drag the old dog in the back and shoot it.

I fail to see the relevance.
Seriously if you plan on keeping this website online, clean up the 6 month-old posts and make the place look fresh and clean.

Who said anything about me wanting to keep it alive?
It was a forum for modding a game, the moment people lose interest in that game the forum stops serving its purpose. All MG is now is a nifty place for me to hang out with friends I've made over the years on the web without having to send a friggin' mass e-mail when I want to share something with them, or vice-versa.

Make no mistake tho, anyone who still wants to work on OG is free and encouraged to do so, here or anywhere else, I just have other priorities in my life.
User avatar
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin
 
Posts: 7284
Joined: Fri, 5th Jan 2007 23:34
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: da webmastah!

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby raptorclaw » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 1:05

messagefromdrsattler wrote:Edit: Make a bloody forum about JP Builder; it's extremely popular on facebook and will get you some Google hits. Not to mention the 2015 movie.

As a 5-year veteran of forum administrating with many active users, I see a problem sticking out like a sore thumb in Modding Genesis.

Honestly one of you needs to take the time to clean up all these old posts, and old forums nobody uses like the Role Playing. Throw them in a locked junkyard forum at the bottom of the index in case you need to reference the posts.
That way people won't join and say. "oh, a dead forum? I think I'll leave now."

It was hell seeing my favorite group of people and favorite role play we started on Nintendo Nsider Forums - the Yoshi Bodyguards - decay into an inactive waste of cyberspace.
But there comes a time when you've got to drag the old dog in the back and shoot it.

Seriously if you plan on keeping this website online, clean up the 6 month-old posts and make the place look fresh and clean.

First of all, this isn't your forum. It's DL's. You have no right to decide whether he needs to do something or not. And second, YOU'RE the only one posting on old topics. If you want to do away with them, why do you post on them? Third, who cares if the game's extremely popular on Facebook? This site wasn't created to become extremely popular. If you want to talk about JP Builder, do it on effing Facebook. Besides, it's not even a good game. There's about 60 dinosaurs that share the same 10 animations.
User avatar
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun, 11th Mar 2012 19:39
Location: Isolation
Gender: Male
User Title: Half noob, half expert.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby V-Raptor » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 7:43

RC! Assertiveness = good, Aggressiveness = bad.
Dammit, man, do I need to get the newspaper?


EDIT: I feel like I should address the post itself:

The point of this forum was to mod a game. It did that admirably, and still does (people are going through models with hex editors and even though I barely ever play the game anymore, I'm loving seeing the changes people are able to make. It feels like back in its heyday we were so focused on editing the models in a controlled fashion that we didn't consider just trial and error for smaller tweaks). As for the community, well, it was nice while it lasted, but I don't see it revitalizing without maybe a JPOG2, and even then I doubt it'd get to he same level as before. But regardless, we still have a small number of people who hang around occasionally, and we have a steam group (that we are completely terrible at).

One thing you should keep in mind is that the forum itself, as somewhat of an entity, has reached a certain level of maturity. So many discussions have been had, there's little more to do than discuss news. It's kind of reached that middle-age point of life, where you only see friends occasionally because you're busy with work and family. College parties with hundreds of people are a thing of the past. To completely start anew would be somewhat erasing the site's life story, and I'm not too keen on that.
Image

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
User avatar
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon, 12th May 2008 16:32
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: Nonexistant.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 12:28

As for hating JP Builder, I could see where you'd think that, before they came out with Aquatic and Glacial park, and the Battle Arena. Why wouldn't you want to get Titanaboa, the giant snake? Or Megalodon the shark? Come on, people.

I'll admit it's not perfect but I give it a 9/10 because 1. its keeping the JP franchise alive by getting some income from the Smartphone App business 2. it's reeling in the younger crowd that would otherwise not care about Jurassic World 3. the mechanics and gameplay aren't bad, IT'S FREE TO PLAY, you can battle dinosaurs, and if you're too impatient and like the game so much that you want to progress faster, you have the option to pay money

I know a hardcore JP fan would be turned off by the Farmville-style gameplay, and seeing the Dilophosaurus roar like a T-rex is pretty stupid, but if you give the game a chance and keep progressing you'll notice it gets better. Not all the dinosaurs share the same animations and sounds, and right now the focus of the game is the Aquatic and Glacial parks anyway.

Legion wrote:
messagefromdrsattler wrote:It was hell seeing my favorite group of people and favorite role play we started on Nintendo Nsider Forums - the Yoshi Bodyguards - decay into an inactive waste of cyberspace.
But there comes a time when you've got to drag the old dog in the back and shoot it.

I fail to see the relevance.


Then you, sir, are blind.

You even have the handful of grizzled old admins and mods who started the community are the only people who actively post, just like we did.

In fact, a couple of you are carbon copies of specific people from my old forum:

  • Eternal Rocker Chick = ChibiKirbyNess, the only girl in a group of male nerds, who is the first to leave the community because women mature faster
  • Reprieve = Topmonhit, the sarcastic one who radiates a sense of intelligence
  • Legion = me (MackDaddyYoshi), the stubborn old member who became leader of the group when others stepped down, and refuses to let the forum die
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
User avatar
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 8th Jun 2010 14:46
Gender: Male
User Title: Predators don't hunt when they're not hungry; only humans do.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby V-Raptor » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 14:01

I ain't no admin or mod. RC also posts with some regularity.
Don't take me wrong, we're not the flagship of active small communities, and the site will fade completely at some point, but when that happens it will be because it doesn't serve a purpose anymore. And as much of a shame as that is (it'll definitely be a sad day for me), it's the natural way of things. There's no point in keeping it alive for the sake of keeping it alive.
Image

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
User avatar
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon, 12th May 2008 16:32
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: Nonexistant.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby Kovu » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 17:28

messagefromdrsattler wrote:In fact, a couple of you are carbon copies of specific people from my old forum:

  • Eternal Rocker Chick = ChibiKirbyNess, the only girl in a group of male nerds, who is the first to leave the community because women mature faster
  • Reprieve = Topmonhit, the sarcastic one who radiates a sense of intelligence
  • Legion = me (MackDaddyYoshi), the stubborn old member who became leader of the group when others stepped down, and refuses to let the forum die

Hmm... and where is me? :hmph:
Image
User avatar
Kovu
Park Admin
Park Admin
 
Posts: 2373
Joined: Fri, 5th Jan 2007 23:44
Location: on top of the foodchain...
Gender: Male
User Title: Voilà le tigre!

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby Legion » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 21:13

messagefromdrsattler wrote:As for hating JP Builder, I could see where you'd think that, before they came out with Aquatic and Glacial park, and the Battle Arena. Why wouldn't you want to get Titanaboa, the giant snake? Or Megalodon the shark? Come on, people.

Maybe I'd agree if I was still 13; I'm not tho.
I'll admit it's not perfect but I give it a 9/10 because 1. its keeping the JP franchise alive by getting some income from the Smartphone App business 2. it's reeling in the younger crowd that would otherwise not care about Jurassic World

It's not an ill-thought, ill-implemented, hamfisted moneygrabbing little facebook game that will "reel in" the younger crowd. If anything would, it'd be a TPS a la Tomb Raider, and we already have a similar game on Steam and no one barely gives a crap about it anyway.
3. the mechanics and gameplay aren't bad

No, they're awful.
IT'S FREE TO PLAY

It was never, and it never will be, a valid excuse for a subpar product.
you can battle dinosaurs

Again, not 13 anymore.
and if you're too impatient and like the game so much that you want to progress faster, you have the option to pay money

And that's the #1 reason this game is shoot.
I know a hardcore JP fan would be turned off by the Farmville-style gameplay

Nah bro, it's not a "hardcore JP fan" thing, it's a "people with better stuff to do and play"
but if you give the game a chance and keep progressing you'll notice it gets better.

I did, and guess what? I hated it.

You even have the handful of grizzled old admins and mods who started the community are the only people who actively post, just like we did.

We aren't.

Eternal Rocker Chick = ChibiKirbyNess, the only girl in a group of male nerds, who is the first to leave the community because women mature faster

Don't speak of what you don't know.
User avatar
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin
 
Posts: 7284
Joined: Fri, 5th Jan 2007 23:34
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: da webmastah!

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby V-Raptor » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 22:42

Legion wrote:If anything would, it'd be a TPS a la Tomb Raider, and we already have a similar game on Steam and no one barely gives a crap about it anyway.

We what now?
link pls
Image

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
User avatar
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon, 12th May 2008 16:32
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: Nonexistant.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby Legion » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 23:26

V-Raptor wrote:We what now?
link pls

Sorry, I was chatting with a friend and screwed up royally, I meant "If anything would, it'd be a TPS a la Trespasser, and we already have a similar game on Steam (Tomb Raider) and no one barely gives a crap about it anyway.

And for the record, TR is the best reboot I've ever played and easily one of my top 5 fav games.
User avatar
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin
 
Posts: 7284
Joined: Fri, 5th Jan 2007 23:34
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: da webmastah!

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby raptorclaw » Fri, 24th Jan 2014 0:41

V-Raptor wrote:RC! Assertiveness = good, Aggressiveness = bad.
Dammit, man, do I need to get the newspaper?

But I wasn't being aggressive :bored:!

As for you:
messagefromdrsattler wrote:As for hating JP Builder, I could see where you'd think that, before they came out with Aquatic and Glacial park, and the Battle Arena. Why wouldn't you want to get Titanaboa, the giant snake? Or Megalodon the shark? Come on, people.

I'll admit it's not perfect but I give it a 9/10 because 1. its keeping the JP franchise alive by getting some income from the Smartphone App business 2. it's reeling in the younger crowd that would otherwise not care about Jurassic World 3. the mechanics and gameplay aren't bad, IT'S FREE TO PLAY, you can battle dinosaurs, and if you're too impatient and like the game so much that you want to progress faster, you have the option to pay money

I know a hardcore JP fan would be turned off by the Farmville-style gameplay, and seeing the Dilophosaurus roar like a T-rex is pretty stupid, but if you give the game a chance and keep progressing you'll notice it gets better. Not all the dinosaurs share the same animations and sounds, and right now the focus of the game is the Aquatic and Glacial parks anyway.

Legion wrote:
messagefromdrsattler wrote:It was hell seeing my favorite group of people and favorite role play we started on Nintendo Nsider Forums - the Yoshi Bodyguards - decay into an inactive waste of cyberspace.
But there comes a time when you've got to drag the old dog in the back and shoot it.

I fail to see the relevance.


Then you, sir, are blind.

You even have the handful of grizzled old admins and mods who started the community are the only people who actively post, just like we did.

In fact, a couple of you are carbon copies of specific people from my old forum:

  • Eternal Rocker Chick = ChibiKirbyNess, the only girl in a group of male nerds, who is the first to leave the community because women mature faster
  • Reprieve = Topmonhit, the sarcastic one who radiates a sense of intelligence
  • Legion = me (MackDaddyYoshi), the stubborn old member who became leader of the group when others stepped down, and refuses to let the forum die

Just because a game is free doesn't mean that it's any good. And there's a pool of about 10 different animations that semi-related dinosaurs share(ex: Ceratosaurus and Baryonyx share the same animations)

And the developers made the game progress slowly so people get bored and use real money to pay for dinosaurs, buildings, etc. All it did to me was prompt me to delete it. It's nothing new to free games though. In fact, there's only about 5 different kinds of free game layouts, this one using the Farmville layout.
User avatar
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun, 11th Mar 2012 19:39
Location: Isolation
Gender: Male
User Title: Half noob, half expert.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby V-Raptor » Fri, 24th Jan 2014 8:10

Legion wrote:
V-Raptor wrote:We what now?
link pls

Sorry, I was chatting with a friend and screwed up royally, I meant "If anything would, it'd be a TPS a la Trespasser, and we already have a similar game on Steam (Tomb Raider) and no one barely gives a crap about it anyway.

Heartbreak, brother. Heartbreak.
And for the record, TR is the best reboot I've ever played and easily one of my top 5 fav games.

I've heard nice things about it, might give it a shot in the future.

raptorclaw wrote:But I wasn't being aggressive :bored:!

It was a little hostile. Not a big deal, mind you, but I thought it was worth pointing out. Forum etiquette and all.
Image

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
User avatar
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon, 12th May 2008 16:32
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: Nonexistant.

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby Legion » Fri, 24th Jan 2014 20:10

V-Raptor wrote:Heartbreak, brother. Heartbreak.

Indeed. But hope shall remain that some time, some day, someone will remake Trespasser the way Square-Enix rebooted TR.
I've heard nice things about it, might give it a shot in the future.

https://www.g2a.com/tomb-raider-steam-cd-key.html
It's 10€ there, and in all honesty, it was worth all of its original price to begin with, so this is a bargain.

Mind you, it is still pretty much a tomb raider game, so expect platforming, supernatural stuff and delicious brit accents.
Oh, and QTEs done right.

Also, do play it in the highest difficulty, otherwise it takes away quite a bit of the experience of exploring the game and coming up with fun ways to kill stuff.
User avatar
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin
 
Posts: 7284
Joined: Fri, 5th Jan 2007 23:34
Location: Portugal
Gender: Male
User Title: da webmastah!

Re: Admin advice

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Sat, 25th Jan 2014 14:32

Yeah at this point I resign myself from both arguments. :facepalm:
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
User avatar
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 8th Jun 2010 14:46
Gender: Male
User Title: Predators don't hunt when they're not hungry; only humans do.

Next

Return to Forum & Main Page Assistance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Help keep this forum ad-free - please Donate


This free, ad-free forum is hosted by ForumLaunch
cron