Could humans cause another mass extinction?

Science discussion. Easy to follow, no?

Moderator: ratattuta

Could humans cause another mass extinction?

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Tue, 21st Jan 2014 19:33

http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinosaure ... -Event.htm

I think it's very viable that CO2 emissions from human beings causing global warming will repeat history as an accelerated version of the Permian extinction.

:argh: guys would our souls exist if mammals never survived
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

User Title: Predators don't hunt when they're not hungry; only humans do.

Re: Could humans cause another mass extinction?

Unread postby V-Raptor » Tue, 21st Jan 2014 21:04

Eeeeeeehhhhhhh.
If the question is "could we?", then fair enough, but I don't think the odds point to that. I really don't think that we'd be able to match 5 million years of volcano CO2 emissions anytime soon, particularly with overall emission being on a decreasing trend (I read a couple of days back that the Ozone Hole seems to be recovering consistently, although it'll take a couple of decades before it heals properly).
Plus, technology evolves in an exponential trend, so I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2 centuries we managed practically clean, effective energy.

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus

User Title: Nonexistant.

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Tue, 21st Jan 2014 21:45

V-Raptor wrote:Eeeeeeehhhhhhh.
If the question is "could we?", then fair enough, but I don't think the odds point to that. I really don't think that we'd be able to match 5 million years of volcano CO2 emissions anytime soon, particularly with overall emission being on a decreasing trend (I read a couple of days back that the Ozone Hole seems to be recovering consistently, although it'll take a couple of decades before it heals properly).
Plus, technology evolves in an exponential trend, so I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2 centuries we managed practically clean, effective energy.

I'm sure the oil giants and car manufacturers will make those centuries long and painful.
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby raptorclaw » Wed, 22nd Jan 2014 0:54

messagefromdrsattler wrote: :argh: guys would our souls exist if mammals never survived

Souls? There are no "souls". If by souls you mean our complex brains, then no. And we almost certainly wouldn't have evolved if mammals died out.
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator

User Title: Half noob, half expert.

Unread postby V-Raptor » Wed, 22nd Jan 2014 15:27

See, this is why you're still the pet.

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Wed, 22nd Jan 2014 17:54

V-Raptor I forgot to mention the overfishing and all the endangered species.

Raptorclaw I'm pretty sure there's at least one all-encompassing soul
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby V-Raptor » Thu, 23rd Jan 2014 7:37

Overfishing and endangered species are an issue, definitely, but I don't think it qualifies as mass extinction. For now, anyway. But I'm optimistic.

V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Sat, 25th Jan 2014 18:40

You can tell yourself that all you want but it's not true.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.c ... tml#page=1

Honestly I'm afraid by the time I have children they won't have any forests or fish left.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby Legion » Sat, 25th Jan 2014 20:42

messagefromdrsattler wrote:You can tell yourself that all you want but it's not true.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.c ... tml#page=1

Honestly I'm afraid by the time I have children they won't have any forests or fish left.

That day won't come.
Especially a day without forests. If such a day does ever grow near, everyone will start killing each other in order to make space to plant forests and reduce pollution levels because they know they'll all die otherwise. It's typical human survival logic. I mean, it won't even be that hard, we do find the pettiest of reasons to kill one another as is.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Unread postby ratattuta » Sat, 25th Jan 2014 21:37

Legion wrote:That day won't come.
Especially a day without forests. If such a day does ever grow near, everyone will start killing each other in order to make space to plant forests and reduce pollution levels because they know they'll all die otherwise. It's typical human survival logic. I mean, it won't even be that hard, we do find the pettiest of reasons to kill one another as is.

The problem is the utter broadness of said statement. A time without forests means a time when trees don't clump together. A time without fish means reducing the population of every fish species, all 32,000 of them, to, at the very least, levels lower than needed for sustainable reproduction. Humans do cause massive changes in the environment, and we are currently causing extreme loss in biodiversity, but fish and forests survived the ice age. I'm sure they can survive us.
ratattuta
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Ceci n'est pas une pipe. C'est dur à cuire.

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Tue, 28th Jan 2014 14:07

It does suck that things like the Himalayan mountain lion could be wiped off the face of the earth.

I think we should wipe the politicians off instead.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby MastaFoo69 » Thu, 27th Mar 2014 11:53

This is old topic but whatever, we most definitely could, and most likely will cause our own extinction event. But not with CO2 levels, that's just nuts. Now total nuclear fallout on the other hand (whether it be from bombs or a shit-ton of radioactive substances leaking into the pacific) is entirely feasible, but hopefully unlikely. Like I've said before, the US got the last laugh in WWII by nuking Japan, but the Japanese are getting the last laugh by nuking the whole goddamned ocean.
MastaFoo69
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

User Title: The 1337 developer of tools

Unread postby Eriorguez » Thu, 27th Mar 2014 15:11

Except the whole CO2 thing is more feasible that you think.
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Weird person of the forum.

Unread postby MastaFoo69 » Sun, 30th Mar 2014 4:59

if we lost all of the forests first, yea, i suppose its feasible enough.
MastaFoo69
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

User Title: The 1337 developer of tools

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Sat, 9th Aug 2014 19:58

Hey guys. I know it's easy to tell yourself "hey, CO2 emissions are actually decreasing!" but they're not. Not in the slightest sense of the word. I know it's easy to be optimistic and say "oh, we're smart enough not to destroy the world we live in!" But it's happening right now.

I can already see the flack I'm going to get for this from a mile away. But hear me out. I just got done watching two very revealing movies, even though they are almost a decade old: Food Inc. and An Inconvenient Truth. And boy, it was an eye opener for me. I'm in the process of switching my diet over to organic food because of how deeply disturbed I was from that movie. But we are here to talk about the latter movie, about global warming.

As a matter of fact, in the news last week I saw a story about a "strange hole in the ground appearing in Siberia." And guess what? That hole is the same thing Al Gore talked about when he made the movie 10 years ago that scientists were already predicting. Well what's so wrong with a hole in the ground, you may ask? Methane gas leaking into the atmosphere. Methane gas that's been trapped underneath Siberia since the last Ice Age. And the undeniable cause of this is the melting of permafrost caused by man made CO2 emissions.

It's going to generate more powerful weather phenomenons. It's going to rise the sea levels so high that entire cities full of millions of people will become refugees. It's NOT a problem that is just going to fix itself.

The fact of the matter is the trees and plants of earth, although they inhale CO2, can't handle the excessive amount we've consistently dumped into our air since before the 1950s. In fact I learned something from Al Gore's movie that I never realized before. The plants of earth actually exhale a large amount of CO2 when they die, every winter. So plants themselves can not and will not be the solution to this epidemic. They are simply not capable of handling this much CO2.

As a society we need to realize that we've polluted the atmosphere so badly that there hasn't been this much CO2 in the atmosphere probably since the Permian extinction. That's 65 million years of atmospheric stability that we're screwing around with like it's a game. It's not something to be taken lightly, it's serious, and it is going to permanently reshape the world we live in. For the worst.

As a matter of fact, after the movie was over they tell you to go on a website called takepart.org which is very informative if you subscribe to their emails. Pretty much every day I get environmental conservation stories on my phone that get more and more depressing each time I read them.

The bottom line is that climate change is very real, and a massive problem. Human beings are overpopulating the earth and driving the very foundation of the natural world to its breaking point.

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/sc ... 01756.html

This article even further proves that mass extinctions are very sensitive to changes that happen in a short period of time. It says that they now think the P/T extinction actually happened in a much shorter time than they thought, only 60,000 years.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Next

Return to Scientopia