First Documented Case of Child Cured of HIV

Science discussion. Easy to follow, no?

Moderator: ratattuta

First Documented Case of Child Cured of HIV

Unread postby The Witch King » Mon, 4th Mar 2013 1:41

Mar. 3, 2013 — Dr. Deborah Persaud of Johns Hopkins University today described the first documented case of a child being cured of HIV. The landmark findings were announced at the 2013 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Atlanta, GA.

Dr. Persaud, an amfAR grantee, detailed the case of a two-year-old child in Mississippi diagnosed with HIV at birth and immediately put on antiretroviral therapy. At 18 months, the child ceased taking antiretrovirals and was lost to follow-up. When brought back into care at 23 months, despite being off treatment for five months, the child was found to have an undetectable viral load. A battery of subsequent highly sensitive tests confirmed the absence of HIV.

Confirmation of the cure was made possible by a grant the Foundation awarded to Dr. Persaud and Dr. Katherine Luzuriaga of the University of Massachusetts in September 2012. The grant allowed Drs. Persaud and Luzuriaga to establish a research collaboratory to explore and document possible pediatric HIV cure cases. The collaboratory includes renowned researchers Drs. Stephen Spector and Doug Richman at the University of California, San Diego; Dr. Frank Maldarelli at the National Cancer Institute; and Dr. Tae-Wook Chun at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 172640.htm
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Lord of the Nazgûl

Re: First Documented Case of Child Cured of HIV

Unread postby Eriorguez » Mon, 4th Mar 2013 13:37

I'd say this is shaping up to be comparable to what antibiotics were to syphillis...
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Weird person of the forum.

Unread postby raptorclaw » Tue, 5th Mar 2013 0:26

It seems like a lot to go through for one child, but hopefully it should benefit others with STDs.

If not, we should send this kid through a black hole and make him report to us what's inside.
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator

User Title: Half noob, half expert.

Unread postby MrGorsh » Tue, 5th Mar 2013 8:44

raptorclaw wrote:It seems like a lot to go through for one child, but hopefully it should benefit others with STDs.

If not, we should send this kid through a black hole and make him report to us what's inside.

There is no "a lot to go through" for progress. Did that one young human do something to you? :P
MrGorsh
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

User Title: Your Worst Nightmare

Unread postby raptorclaw » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 0:14

No, but to go through that much just for one child is a bit much. If I were to have an incurable disease, but still people raised millions of dollars to try and save me, and I die anyway, is a bit over the top. The millions of dollars could go to, say, ending poverty or feeding the hungry. It's for the good of the crowd, not for the need of one. What if the medication only works on a specific bloodtype? Or gender? Or a certain age group?

And I detected that I read something wrong, so I reread it, and it says that the Foundation was created BEFORE the child got sick.
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator

Unread postby V-Raptor » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 0:44

I don't think you understand the significance of curing even one person of HIV. Baby steps, mon ami.

Disclaimer: I haven't played JPOG in years, take any advice with a pinch of salt.
V-Raptor
Colossus
Colossus

User Title: Nonexistant.

Unread postby raptorclaw » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 1:24

Yes, I said I did, but what if the medication was just a one time thing or only works with certain people? Or maybe the medication may be unstable and cause a huge death toll? Maybe cause another deadly disease? Only time will tell. More testing needs to be done. But for now, to me it's just another measly life saved that has a seed of hope.
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator

Unread postby The Witch King » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 1:42

raptorclaw wrote:No, but to go through that much just for one child is a bit much. If I were to have an incurable disease, but still people raised millions of dollars to try and save me, and I die anyway, is a bit over the top. The millions of dollars could go to, say, ending poverty or feeding the hungry. It's for the good of the crowd, not for the need of one. What if the medication only works on a specific bloodtype? Or gender? Or a certain age group?
Did you just seriously try to justify why research into finding a cure for an incurable disease is not worth it? Really?

Since it seems as though your twisted "good of the many" logic is the only thing you'll listen to, here's a statistic for you: 34 million people have HIV (source: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/c ... ort_en.pdf). That's just the number of documented cases. The real number is probably far higher. Wouldn't it therefore be logical to assume that any research done towards ending it would be worth it?

So what if it's a one-time thing? By that logic, we shouldn't be developing Flu vaccines, despite the fact that they do protect (at least some) people. So what if it only works in some cases? Good. Then it's still a viable treatment. Matter of fact, you're probably luck if a treatment gets that good a result. No treatment would ever make it to the point where a huge death toll was even possible. Matter of fact, the second someone died in trials, it would be pulled. Therefore those last to complaints are null-and-void. And if you loosely define "deadly" as having severe side-effects, it's called chemotherapy. I would suggest you look it up.
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Lord of the Nazgûl

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 1:52

Let's just stop research and trials on any kind of still incurable disease. Obviously the first successful result is not worth it.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Unread postby raptorclaw » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 3:01

I don't foresee anything good coming out of this, so I'm just going to admit defeat. I said before, I misread the article. And by "that logic, we shouldn't develop flu vaccines?" No, I meant that we need to test it on more people for us to know the side affects, what kinds of people the medication works on, and what the survival rate of HIV is after taking the medication for it to be deemed successful. I worded that wrong.

I was more or less talking about organizations that started in order to cure 1 person, and the person ends up dying. Not really the HIV cure. Now, if the program was started to attempt to cure that one person, the organization would have been built on a risky cause. But even then, the money raised could be donated to an anti-whatever the disease was foundation. So after actually thinking about it, I withdraw from whatever I said earlier.
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator

Unread postby Reprieve » Wed, 6th Mar 2013 10:23

Alas this method may only work on children. However, with >100,000 kids a year born with HIV this is still a significant step
Reprieve
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: flagellum dei

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Tue, 21st Jan 2014 19:45

To OP holy crap why have I not heard about this?! it must not work on anyone older than a baby

MrGorsh wrote:There is no "a lot to go through" for progress. Did that one young human do something to you? :P

You, my friend, need to play a video game called The Last Of Us.
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

User Title: Predators don't hunt when they're not hungry; only humans do.

Return to Scientopia