Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Science discussion. Easy to follow, no?

Moderator: ratattuta

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Docszoo » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 21:43

Why would it need to grab prey? By the time it gets close enough to prey, it can just bite it. I believe that those arms were slowly disappearing through evolutionary adpation. Was this disproven allready?
-Andrew
User avatar
Docszoo
Apex Hunter
Apex Hunter
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Mon, 26th May 2008 16:31
Location: New Mexico
Gender: Male
User Title: Docszoo

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Spinosaurus Aegypt » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 21:46

The arms would not be so powerful if they had no use and were dissaperaing. also if the prey is running, it would have to stop its prey to get a good bite.
User avatar
Spinosaurus Aegypt
Park Visitor
Park Visitor
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed, 2nd Jul 2008 3:28

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Melea Lord » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 22:24

Spinosaurus Aegypt wrote:Tyrannosaurus arms were like meat hooks that could grab prey and hold it long enough to deliver its deadly bite. :twisted:


You have got to be the most idiotic person I ever met when it comes to palaeontology... use your flipping head because all your arguments are fantasies built up by your imagination and inaccurate films like JP3. Yes the arms could have been strong but why don't you look at the size of them and take more than one fact in at the same time. They weren't long enough to reach it's face, it would have killed prey probably by slamming it's skull into them. I don't know, I certainly ain't the best in this but I'm better at it than you. Use your head!
Image
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
The GEPv2 Trailer The GEPv2 Download
User avatar
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed, 25th Jul 2007 12:50
Location: Britain, Essex
Gender: Male
User Title: FSM Personnel #2

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby The Witch King » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 22:41

Melea Lord wrote:They weren't long enough to reach it's face, it would have killed prey probably by slamming it's skull into them.
No, it killed by biting. It has a mouth full of railroad spikes.
User avatar
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Mon, 15th Jan 2007 7:32
Location: My dark throne in Mordor.
Gender: Male
User Title: Lord of the Nazgûl

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Docszoo » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:12

The Witch King wrote:
Melea Lord wrote:They weren't long enough to reach it's face, it would have killed prey probably by slamming it's skull into them.
No, it killed by biting. It has a mouth full of railroad spikes.


There is more than one way to kill a cow. It had a big thick skull. Some specimens may have done head-ramming. In martial arts, the skull is used at time. Tyrannosaurus should have been very smart, since it had millions of years to develop the mind. We will never know.
-Andrew
User avatar
Docszoo
Apex Hunter
Apex Hunter
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Mon, 26th May 2008 16:31
Location: New Mexico
Gender: Male
User Title: Docszoo

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Spinosaurus Aegypt » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:18

You call me an idiot but you have no idea, not once in history has an animal lost anything because it didnt use them, mutations in dna as well as traits in parents lead to this. Trex could still use its arms, for what we dont know.
User avatar
Spinosaurus Aegypt
Park Visitor
Park Visitor
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed, 2nd Jul 2008 3:28

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Melea Lord » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:28

Spinosaurus Aegypt wrote:not once in history has an animal lost anything because it didnt use them

Not true... they have an animal which usually has eyes but because it moved to live in a cave with no light, it lost it's eyes because it had no need of them.
Infact, what you say disproves evolution. We should still have tails but we lost it because we didn;t need it. Evolution is all about loosing traits for more beneficial traits.

What I think you meant to say was that why would the rex have arms if it didn't use them.
A)We have bodily hair which we no longer need (not in the cities anyway).
B)Part of our digestive system has something that's never used and it kills people when it goes wrong and when no one is around to operate.
C)Wisdom teeth are no longer need yet they grow.

There are many more reasons showing that traits are kept even though they give little advantage what so ever.

Trex could still use its arms, for what we dont know.


It certainly couldn't hold prey with it.
Image
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
The GEPv2 Trailer The GEPv2 Download
User avatar
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed, 25th Jul 2007 12:50
Location: Britain, Essex
Gender: Male
User Title: FSM Personnel #2

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Eriorguez » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:42

Losing traits is a side effect. And the appendix greatly improves life quality as a lymphatic organ.

And Tyrannosaurus had EXTREMELLY WELL MUSCULED arms. Those things were not dissappearing, they were functional while letting the head be the main weapon.
User avatar
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun, 14th Jan 2007 22:55
Location: Galicia, Spain
Gender: Male
User Title: Weird person of the forum.

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Melea Lord » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:43

But it didn't grab prey did it?
Image
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
The GEPv2 Trailer The GEPv2 Download
User avatar
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed, 25th Jul 2007 12:50
Location: Britain, Essex
Gender: Male
User Title: FSM Personnel #2

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Eriorguez » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:45

Their function is what people should focus on, rather that DIET.

Myself, I think they may have come handy, when bitting in several places. They would be something like a bear hug, with those giant gasping biceps...
User avatar
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun, 14th Jan 2007 22:55
Location: Galicia, Spain
Gender: Male
User Title: Weird person of the forum.

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Melea Lord » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:49

Did their arms function as a way to grab prey? What way do you want me to say this?
Image
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
The GEPv2 Trailer The GEPv2 Download
User avatar
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed, 25th Jul 2007 12:50
Location: Britain, Essex
Gender: Male
User Title: FSM Personnel #2

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Eriorguez » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:53

We don't know yet, because it has not been studied properly...
...
...

Argh, trying to comprehend 4-D spinning makes my brain hurt...
User avatar
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun, 14th Jan 2007 22:55
Location: Galicia, Spain
Gender: Male
User Title: Weird person of the forum.

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Melea Lord » Mon, 7th Jul 2008 23:56

Eriorguez wrote:We don't know yet, because it has not been studied properly...
...
...

Argh, trying to comprehend 4-D spinning makes my brain hurt...


Pretty cool isn't it? You keep watching and then you'll see every line being the exact same size and every angle being the same size, as it's meant to be.... it's... indescribable.
Image
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
The GEPv2 Trailer The GEPv2 Download
User avatar
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed, 25th Jul 2007 12:50
Location: Britain, Essex
Gender: Male
User Title: FSM Personnel #2

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Docszoo » Tue, 8th Jul 2008 0:10

Eriorguez wrote:And the appendix greatly improves life quality as a lymphatic organ.


Really? What does it manufacture? Last time I read about it, it was a useless hole that got stuff clogged in it. :shock:

Eriorguez wrote:Myself, I think they may have come handy


:facepalm:
-Andrew
User avatar
Docszoo
Apex Hunter
Apex Hunter
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Mon, 26th May 2008 16:31
Location: New Mexico
Gender: Male
User Title: Docszoo

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby Eriorguez » Tue, 8th Jul 2008 0:43

Yup, the appendix is useful. Appendicite is caused by bacterial infection, due to, say, bad luck.

...

Damn, unvoluntary bad pun...
User avatar
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun, 14th Jan 2007 22:55
Location: Galicia, Spain
Gender: Male
User Title: Weird person of the forum.

PreviousNext

Return to Scientopia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Help keep this forum ad-free - please Donate


This free, ad-free forum is hosted by ForumLaunch
cron