Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Science discussion. Easy to follow, no?

Moderator: ratattuta

Re: Dinosaur battels!(not a story thing) who would win?

Unread postby The Witch King » Tue, 8th Jul 2008 1:00

Eriorguez wrote:Yup, the appendix is useful.
Just like the tail bone serves as an anchor for various muscles. A vestigial organ/structure isn't useless. It just doesn't serve it's former use.
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Lord of the Nazgûl

Unread postby akakabuto » Fri, 12th Sep 2014 11:56

Eriorguez wrote:Spinosaurus had a narrow head. And Tyrannosaurus was likely to eat whatever it could find, like ANY OTHER land predator.

Spinosaurus was cleary specialized in fishing. Just take a look at that NARROW head, with NARROW jaws. It could not take down big game as well as the Carcharodontosaurids and Abelisaurids it lived with, due to it being specialized in another niche. And Tyrannosaurus is overkill.

Edit: I forgot to mention, that the most recent estimates put Carcharodontosaurus at 11.5 meters long, rather that 14. In fact, nothing but Spino is put over 14, with the biggest Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus reaching a bit over 13 meters. In the 12 meters leage, we get big Allosaurus, Suchomimus, Deltadromeus and the fully grown Baryonyx, and, at 11, Tarbosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus. Not to mention, 18 meters for Spino, not really. More like 17-16.

And no way a bipedal animal weighted 18 tons. That's what CAMARASAURUS weighted. And Camarasaurus is a sauropod. It's illogical to have an animal cleary more lighty built, with approximatelly the same length, and BIPEDAL weight the same. That paper is regarded as an abomination.

So, no more that 8 tons is more logical, seeing that it had to be able to walk, maybe even run.

Took a few years but it looks like I was pretty much right about Spinosaurus's weight, feels good to have been going against the crowed years ago :quite:
I say the newest rendition is off still, I bet it was bulkier.
"Spinosaurus was almost 50 feet long and weighed as much as 20 metric tons"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... g-dinosaur
akakabuto
Fodder
Fodder

Unread postby Eriorguez » Fri, 12th Sep 2014 12:48

Read the paper, and it isn't a comparative mass study. It also has a very elongated tail, when we lack terminal caudal vertebrae in every Spinosaurid, just so it approaches the highest estimates for lenght.

And the mass estimate used in that Washington Post link is the highest one published, from dal Sasso et al., 2005. Media tends to flock to the largest numbers, without taking a look at what they meant. Allosaurus was not on average 12 meters. So bad research on the media's part, and on yours, Mr. Number hunter.

And you are replying to a effing 6 year old post. I got a degree and a master's since I wrote that. I know a fair bit more about how animals work, and, trust me, it isn't based on numbers. Megalosauroids are elongated, at equal lenghts they are less heavily built than Allosauroids, which are less barrel chested than Tyrannosaurids.
Eriorguez
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Weird person of the forum.

Unread postby Legion » Fri, 19th Sep 2014 14:30

I do feel the outline is too skinny, I'd wager such a highly aquatic animal would have a more streamlined profile than the one the reconstruction points to.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Previous

Return to Scientopia