Petting Zoo!

Useful tips for making the perfect slaught-i mean-theme park.

Petting Zoo!

Unread postby Dryosaurus_Rex » Wed, 24th Mar 2010 20:00

I was poking around in the game files and found information for a petting zoo. Whilst I realise that its impossible to create a model and the functionality of a petting zoo, let alone baby dinosaurs to go in there, it inspired me to make one myself...

I faced a few problems here..

I made small 3 by 2 enclosures and put in either 6 large herbivores (Brachiosaurs count as 2) or 10 small herbivores into the enclosures, so that there was enough room for the dinosaurs to move but enough dinosaurs for it to be entertaining to visitors.

I then realised that people would need to get into the enclosures for it to be a real petting zoo... But to put a path in I had to delete sections of fence, which led to dinosaur escapes and roundups and musters all over the park, which did not work. So I put in avoidance beacons outside the enclosures - and it worked, for a while, though I had the dinosaurs running around getting stressed and having the shields above their heads. I figured this would be ok, as it would kind of make dinosaur activity for the visitors. So I opened the park and realised the problem with this idea. The Herbivores would not eat or drink, so died, which was a problem, and worse the "Stegosaur family" (Kentrosaurus, Stegosaurus) and the "Triceratops family" (Styracasaurus, Torosaurus, Triceratops) were all stressing out, waving their spiked tails around and charging horns first into everything. After about 20 fatalities in about 30 seconds I realised it would not work.

I needed gates.

Back to the program files I went to see if there was any functionality for gates or anything in there, and I didnt find anything. I couldnt think of anything so went on with my idea of the avoidance beacons but just put them further away. I left the dangerous herbivores out (Which made it nowhere near as good in my opinion as they are the best herbivores (Stegosaurus should have been five stars! It was my favorite as a kid!)) but you know I decided to just go with it, make the petting zoo.

I discovered this next thing accidentally, but I managed to create a gate.

I was going about and creating the park and I finally managed to finish researching all the things I thought I needed for the petting zoo so started going back around to get the unneeded things, cash machines, balloon tours, fountains etc.

I got around to researching fountains and figured it was a waste of time researching fountains if I wasnt going to use them (I normally only use them if I have a serious crowding issue) and figured a good place to put them would be on the paths going into the enclosures. They would look good and be in good places to reduce crowding. Then I realised that I hadnt had a dinosaur wander off for a while (It occassionally happened when the beacons went off) and noticed - Visitors can walk inbetween fountains but dinosaurs cant get past them at all! I had created a makeshift gate and finally figured out how to make a real petting zoo.

Now everytime I make a park, a small section will be dedicated to a petting zoo area, and I'm working on a safe way to make a carnivore "petting zoo" where they can get up close and personal with them, whilst being safe. All my attempts so far have been thwarted by the little bell noise and the fatality sign :(. But Im working on a walk in safari as well, which is going better, just a few deaths from exposure so far. Might need to add little areas with bathrooms and kiosks halfway along.

Hope this helps anyone that would like this in their park and sorry if this is old news and I'm late to the show :)

Dryosaurus_Rex.
Dryosaurus_Rex
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

Re: Petting Zoo!

Unread postby Unit53374 » Sun, 6th Jun 2010 4:08

I have an Idea for a carn petting zoo... have the carns (not dilopho) in a small open cage and fill the opening with fountains. the people can get close to the carns, but they can't eat the people :amused: ... not sure if it'll work... gonna test it...

another thought :quite: - do ratings go up if you include the carn foods, goat and cow?
~Unit 53374~
I am not responsible for any wounds received at Jurassic Park. This includes, but is not limited to: bruises, scrapes, lacerations, loss of limbs, evisceration, bifurcation, decapitation, or death.
Unit53374
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Unread postby messagefromdrsattler » Tue, 8th Jun 2010 20:08

I hope you know, I have had visitors die of exposure... literally, just because of the fountain. Nothing else.

This was way back when but reading that long post made me remember it.

For some reason a glitch made that fountain the suicide fountain. o_O
Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.
messagefromdrsattler
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

User Title: Predators don't hunt when they're not hungry; only humans do.

Unread postby reptilecrazy12 » Mon, 16th Aug 2010 16:40

That doesn't make sense :quite:
reptilecrazy12
Predator
Predator

User Title: Getting a breeding pair of snakes! Yesss

Unread postby Sam » Mon, 1st Nov 2010 21:59

I use the idea and i got 5 stars in a hour :grin: THNX
SAM
Sam
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Unread postby Universal genesis » Fri, 5th Aug 2011 15:10

You are a genious. I'm gonna try this out soon.

Edit: Oops, revived an old topic.
Giganotosaurus, king of the dinosaurs.
Universal genesis
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: KING OF THA DINOSAURS!!!

Unread postby Green Grass » Mon, 16th Jul 2012 8:27

I came up with an idea for a carnivore petting zoo, basically make the enclosure then put the path around the edge (the path has to be at least two sections wide) then put a long wall of fountains along the path side facing into the enclosure so that people can walk into the carn area but if they get scared they can run to safety behind the fountains and the carns can't follow them (the reason you put the fence along the enclosure edge is to save fountains).I'm not sure it will work because the carns might be too quick or the people to dumb to run to safety and you need to mod the game so you can get lots of fountains, but will test it :) .
It works! Also to save even more fountains you could just replace a section of fence with fountains and put path going up to it.
Nyan?
Nyan?
Heheheheheh!
Green Grass
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Gaghiel

Return to Strategy