What was the worst disaster you've had in a park?

Cheats, funny events, financial colapse...

What was the worst disaster you've had in a park?

Unread postby WanderingLamb96 » Tue, 2nd Jun 2015 21:46

From twisters, to rampaging Tyrannosaurs, to financial destitution, to that one random but god-giving-you-the-middle-finger-ish lighting bolt during a thunderstorm that kills your prized Brachiosaurus, there are numerous ways you can face set backs when building your Jurassic Park (Or if you're feeling modern, Jurassic World.)

What was the biggest setback you've had? How do you prevent your parks from marking another loss for Ingen?

~~

My biggest setback occurred when a tour balloon crashed, and I failed to search thoroughly for the visitors, I lost two and a half stars because of that, and I was well on my way to four and a half.

For myself, I tend to take an approach that avoids as much danger as possible. I do this with Safari and balloon tours. Sacrificing a lot of space and access to the dinosaurs themselves (My tours span the whole island, and go around every exhibit before looping back, it can take a while.) I figured the one thing John Hammond did right in the film and novel was keeping the dinosaurs as far away from civilization as possible, and my carnivores are all well away from any sort of human activity that's not in a land cruiser. If by some chance they get out I also have the paths well protected by fencing (Which should be checked a lot more often than it is around the entrances,) and beacons/ turrets. I also have three ranger stations all around the park to respond to an emergency, but I think they may just pose a risk to the dinosaurs, I've had to stop them from sedating my Rex to death multiple times. My park has been running for a little more than a decade, and so far no humans have suffered fatalities from dinosaurs. Early on I had to retire a herd of Stegosaurus from my "petting zoo" because of their incessant need to swing their tails at objects over 100 feet above them. I also keep security cameras in every carnivore exhibit save the Albertosaur/ Ceratosaur exhibit, so any rampages are brought to my attention ASAP. The only risk visitors face is if a carnivore has escaped while a land cruiser is nearby, and that hasn't happened yet.

So logistically speaking there is no way I could have a Nublar incident, save for one variable...

I've suffered from two twisters so far in my park, and those were brutal, I've lost a lot of herbivores to those, and I've had to delete fences to give my animals a chance to escape (Where they're not destroyed already.) So far no carnivores have gone rogue after a twister, but I did have a Charcharodontosaurs get fairly far from her exhibit before being put back in. My only hope is that a twister never hits my petting zoo enclosure, as there are many herbivores and buildings inside of it. I also shut down the park as early as a month before any twisters, so the only visistors at risk are on tour when emergency mode is started. Cleaners often don't make it though. :lul:

My biggest fear is my raptors escaping their enclosure, even with high security fencing I test the paddock regularly, "they remember" after all. The only threat they pose is to their neighboring Dilophosaurs, I think I've lost two or three due to rampaging raptors, however I'm not too worried about that.

All in all I am more than prepared for when the animals I handle bite the hand that feeds them. How about you?
"Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and um, screaming." - Ian Malcolm on modding
WanderingLamb96
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: The Tyranno Soprano

Re: What was the worst disaster you've had in a park?

Unread postby raptorclaw » Sat, 6th Jun 2015 16:33

A couple years ago, I had multiple twisters hit back-to-back, the raptors escaping, and the tyrannosaurs (I had 2) eating the visitors after THEY escaped. And because my park was really large (and I only had 1 entrance), the visitors were having trouble escaping. It was a bloodbath

I haven't played in a while, and my memory's a little foggy, so I'm sure worse things have happened, but I can't remember right now.
raptorclaw
Fearsome Predator
Fearsome Predator

User Title: Half noob, half expert.

Unread postby BlazedD00MER » Mon, 22nd Jun 2015 20:01

Yesterday, I had a twister rip through the park. It was a pretty fresh/early play and it just F-up'd everything. Pretty much killed all my cleaners and dino's. I haven't played since 2006 but, that's the most resent thing I had happen to me.
BlazedD00MER
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Unread postby Polar!s » Mon, 30th Nov 2015 1:43

A few days ago when i first got the Forgotten mod from Mod db working, i had 3 large carnivores in a three star park. A Baryonyx, Charcharadontosaurus, and Yangchaunosaurus. There were two Iguanodons, thee Ouranosaurus, and four Tenontosaurus as well placed somewhere else in the park. I was reaserching Rabies at the time since i thought i did at the beginning of the game but somehow forgot. I kept them all in Medium security since i didn't get to researching High Security fencing and they all were especially calm, and i had a good amount of Cams, A. Beacons, and Vis. Shelters placed around the park, especially near the carnivores.

I usually check the weather every (in-game) month, but i got distracted when my herbs suddenly started getting comas. (They ate ALL of the trees, even though i had 3 feeders set to Paleo Bale in there). So, when my Rangers starting missing for some odd reason, i was stuck reviving and replacing Paleo Trees (since they weren't vaccinated yet) manually. So after that was done, it hit me.

I forgot to check the weather, and a tornado hit. It struck near the Yangchu exhibit first, and i immediately set the park in emergency mode. Suddenly, Sattler gave me 3 messages. All of them had the Carnivores looking sick. Next thing i know, all 3 carnivores went crazy from a sudden Rabies breakout.

The Yangchu somehow didn't get killed by the Tornado, even though it ripped through it's exhibit 3 TIMES! But to make it worse my Charcha (which was placed in the center of the park) broke out of it's exhibit and killed a cleaner.

My Bary escaped and started chasing after goats and cows that ran out through the breach.

And my Yangchu broke two fences and ran out into a feild just outside my park, roaring like crazy.

Luckily the tornado ended and no people or dinosaurs had died, and i had just enough money left to repair everything, yet sadly i had to retire my Charcha because she kept going crazy after that. (I'm guessing her AI glitched or sumthin so she'd think she had Rabies or sumthin).

But that was my worst disaster so far. My second worst (and first ever) major disaster was when i had an Allosaurus get Rabies, and i was researching something else (Gyro Stabilizer i think it was, this was about a year ago) and it killed 3 Dilophosaurus and a visitor. It ended quickly though since i just put it to sleep until i had Rabies researched.

I wonder what the Karma of running over my Gallimimus by accident will bring me next... :sweatdrop:
Polar!s
Park Visitor
Park Visitor

User Title: Member

Return to Operation General