A few words from your Admin

All events related to Modding Genesis are posted here, be sure to check it out frequently!

A few words from your Admin

Unread postby Legion » Thu, 4th Dec 2008 22:03

For many of you, 5th Genners, and some 4th Genners, this is the first time you've seen a public announcement from me, but it's time to get some things straight...
But, before that, let me say I'm happy with MG's development and growth, I think we've finally reached a stage where moderator intervention isn't as needed and where members can help other members learn their way around, which was all I ever aimed for: a place where users themselves would be self-suficient and moderator intervention wouldn't have to be physically (loose concept) present for it to be felt.
I'm also satisfied users now use the report feature much more often, instead of clogging discussion topics with remarks about where something should and shouldn't be placed, this, by no means, excludes you yourselves of pointing it out to the user, but, more on that ahead...
What I'm not as pleased, however, is most of the recent users not bothering to read the rules nor check the "The Site" category oftenly.
So, on to the serious business.

Firstly, this goes to those who already know their way on MG, meaning early 5th Genners and prior, you guys know your ways around, know where to post and where to find what, so, in the spirit of needing less and less moderator intervention and a tighter sense of "community", one that helps their own, I hereby ask you to help the newcomers.
Don't simply post "use search" or my ever so beloved facepalm smiley, sure, you have the right to moan, to tell the users what they could have done instead, but, along with it, do provide a link to what they're searching for, it'll save us forum clogging and prolonging an otherwise useless topic, not to mention your posts would also contain relevant data and not simply spam.
Yes, I know I'm not the best example, but remember, I always said I should be a last-resort intervention.
Just to remember you guys, I've been here long before any of you (except TWK) even knew about this place, and I also remember that 95% of you came here with the same useless topics, questions and attitude as these newcomers, and nowadays, you sit on your high horses lecturing the 5th genners, instead of simply teaching them how to fish (like recommending how to use search), and at the same time giving them a fish so they don't starve (like, say, a direct link for their questions, should such a link exist).

Secondly, don't post on a forum to make a direct request to a user, like I've seen here. The Private Message system exists for this kind of thing.
You can also use the Private Messaging system to send a user who has broken forum rules (like... posted in all caps, per example) a link to said rules and advise to edit their post before a moderator sees it, since it is grounds for a warning.
Point in hand, the Private Message exists to make a request to a specific user and to send feedback to another user, so, use this system.

Finally, to anyone interested, I'm looking to create a new topic with links to helpful tutorials, from basic modding to advanced skinning, if any of you feel you can create such tutorials, do it.
I just ask you try to make it as complete, simple and professional looking as you possibly can, so everyone can read, enjoy and understand what you're saying.
If, on the other hand, you don't have the time or the disposition to create such a topic, please, don't even try.

And, before any of you asks:
1st Generation Users (Genners for short): Prior my rising to Adminship :los: (example: TWK)
2nd Generation Users: After my rise to the top (example: ??)
3rd Generation Users: Those who joined during our Gamespy days (example: ERC)
4th Generation Users: Those who joined in the Terrasco Servers (example: Dr. Phil)
5th Generation Users: Anyone who has registered since we moved to Hosting Delivered.

This is all, class dismissed :edu:
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Re: A few words from your most hated Admin.

Unread postby The_Lost_World » Thu, 4th Dec 2008 22:55

Do you have to use the Dr Phil thing? It's not that funny and none of the new members you'd like to be communicating with this announcement won't know what you're talking about. And I really don't like it.

And by the way, you're my favorite admin, not the hated. :P So you have one fan, lol.
The_Lost_World
Monster Attraction
Monster Attraction

Unread postby Legion » Thu, 4th Dec 2008 23:11

Draven wrote:Do you have to use the Dr Phil thing? It's not that funny and none of the new members you'd like to be communicating with this announcement won't know what you're talking about. And I really don't like it.

And by the way, you're my favorite admin, not the hated. :P So you have one fan, lol.

I know it annoys you, it's reason enough.

And you do know TWK will crucify you as a ass-kisser, right? :P

As long as people get the message and follow it, that's all I want.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Docszoo » Thu, 4th Dec 2008 23:22

It's not like the users have not known this before, but now that it is writen out in an announcement, it's official.

About the topics, I could edit one's tutorial so it is more understandable. I know basically most modding, but can't make a tutorial on it by myself because I just toss in everything at one time.
-Andrew
Docszoo
Apex Hunter
Apex Hunter

User Title: Docszoo

Unread postby The_Lost_World » Fri, 5th Dec 2008 0:25

And you do know TWK will crucify you as a arse-kisser, right? :P

Well, I've done it before to him, so I'm digging a trench for the incoming mortars right now. :P
The_Lost_World
Monster Attraction
Monster Attraction

Unread postby Legion » Fri, 5th Dec 2008 11:23

Docszoo wrote:About the topics, I could edit one's tutorial so it is more understandable. I know basically most modding, but can't make a tutorial on it by myself because I just toss in everything at one time.

You can always paste tidbits into a notepad file and edit them to your liking.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby The Witch King » Fri, 5th Dec 2008 12:28

DarkLord wrote:1st Generation Users (Genners for short): Prior my rising to Adminship :los: (example: TWK)
Technically you were an Admin when I came here. You just didn't run the entire site.
Draven wrote:
And you do know TWK will crucify you as a arse-kisser, right? :P

Well, I've done it before to him, so I'm digging a trench for the incoming mortars right now. :P
Mortars? MORTARS?!?! You think too little of me.
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Lord of the Nazgûl

Unread postby Legion » Fri, 5th Dec 2008 14:12

The Witch King wrote:Technically you were an Admin when I came here. You just didn't run the entire site.

I pulled some strings, but was still a moderator when you joined.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby The_Lost_World » Fri, 5th Dec 2008 23:26

Mortars? MORTARS?!?! You think too little of me.

LOL, you've really outdone you're self now. XD

Then who was the Admin?
The_Lost_World
Monster Attraction
Monster Attraction

Unread postby Docszoo » Sat, 6th Dec 2008 4:28

There, I got a new tutorial started. Happy? It's all off of pure memory.
-Andrew
Docszoo
Apex Hunter
Apex Hunter

User Title: Docszoo

Unread postby The Witch King » Sat, 6th Dec 2008 8:43

Draven wrote:

Then who was the Admin?
The webmaster used to be the Ark. You might remember him as one of the moderators here (though he only posted twice).
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

Unread postby The_Lost_World » Sat, 6th Dec 2008 9:00

Oh.

What happened to him? Did he invent MG?
The_Lost_World
Monster Attraction
Monster Attraction

Unread postby Legion » Sat, 6th Dec 2008 12:18

Docszoo wrote:There, I got a new tutorial started. Happy? It's all off of pure memory.

Good boy :los:
Tho it could have more pictures :hmph:
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby The Witch King » Sat, 6th Dec 2008 12:22

DarkLord wrote:Tho it could have more pictures :hmph:
DL's inner three year old talking.
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

Unread postby NeuroticVows » Sat, 6th Dec 2008 15:01

I am a better example than dr. phil. ok no I am not, but I am a 4th genner and I believe I follow the rules here pretty well.
I WILL TAKE OVER EVERY PART THAT MAKES YOU WHO YOU ARE AND DESTROY IT.
NeuroticVows
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

User Title: guitarist, bassist, pianist, drummer, vocalist, percusionist...etc

Next

Return to Site Press