Forum re-organization

All events related to Modding Genesis are posted here, be sure to check it out frequently!

Forum re-organization

Unread postby Legion » Mon, 1st Oct 2007 12:27

Well, although most of you think I'm doing nothing with the site, I am, and, to my great, great sadness, I won't be able to release the 5.0 version/website as soon as I wished (as most of you know, it was suppose to be out last September), yet, I wish to give you a heads up on what's going on right now. In part due to lack of time, in part due to the lack of interest (this is an ambitious and big project, which means I don't always have the required mood).

1) The portal page is now "finnished" (I messed up on one section link, but that's fixeable in few minutes), I'm fond of the look, yet, taste is a matter of opinion, so, I'll later post a screen of what's done. Also needs the descriptions for each section, but hey, that'll show up soon.

2) With this project, the forum and website will suffer a "merge", meaning, reorganization of the forum will have to ensue, and, that's the main point of this thread.

Modding Genesis will feature 5 sections:

The Site - Information about Modding Genesis, forms to contact the staff, among others.

Tutorials - How-to's to mod the game, split into each category (structure, unit, behaviour, GUI, skinning, etc.)

Downloads - Mods made by the community, also split into the same categories as the tutorials.

Game - Information about the game

Social - Social discussion forums (the "general" category)
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Re: Forum re-organizatin

Unread postby TyrannoMatt » Mon, 1st Oct 2007 13:32

Psst. Not to be a bother but slight typo in the title. "organization"

And it's understandable, real life does get in the way of websites. Afterall,we are all human. Cant always do things as fast we want them done.

How soon will you plan to do the moving around of boards/threads?
TyrannoMatt
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby Legion » Mon, 1st Oct 2007 14:54

TyrannoMatt wrote:Psst. Not to be a bother but slight typo in the title. "organization"

thanks ^_^

And it's understandable, real life does get in the way of websites. Afterall,we are all human. Cant always do things as fast we want them done.

Yeah, but it bogs me quite a bit. I have this terrible habit of always keeping my word, and I get quite upset when I can't....

How soon will you plan to do the moving around of boards/threads?

sometime this year =P
Honestly, I'm still on the drawing board trying to figure out how everything will be re-arranged. But one thing I can say already is that ALL completed mods, without exception will be moved to development mods until they fit the Mod submission guide requirements (to be written).

If any of you frequents ModTheSims2, you'll find a lot of inspiration for this new MG version will steam from there.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Dark Star » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 3:40

DarkLord wrote: But one thing I can say already is that ALL completed mods, without exception will be moved to development mods until they fit the Mod submission guide requirements (to be written).

Bet ML's going to be busy when that time comes... But what about the mods by users who are inactive?
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby Legion » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 13:40

Dark Star wrote:But what about the mods by users who are inactive?

Who cares about those? Not my fault they no longer stay active.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Re: Forum re-organization

Unread postby Melea Lord » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 19:14

I don't understand. You just move them into development section, write up the guide, then move those that fit the guidelines into completed mods right? The authors won't have to do any work?? Because I'll be VERY busy otherwise.
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
The GEPv2 Trailer The GEPv2 Download
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

User Title: FSM Personnel #2

Unread postby Legion » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 19:44

Melea Lord wrote:I don't understand. You just move them into development section, write up the guide, then move those that fit the guidelines into completed mods right? The authors won't have to do any work?? Because I'll be VERY busy otherwise.

In short, you'll be VERY busy when the forum remodeling takes place :P
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Melea Lord » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 19:51

Wonderful. Can this happen on a half-term?? Wait your american? Our holidays will differ then?

What about the mods in the accepted mods section? Why haven't there been anymore moved to it recently??
Look at me, don't look away... don't ever look away, you'll be looking at me forever!
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

Unread postby Legion » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 20:13

Melea Lord wrote:Wonderful. Can this happen on a half-term?? Wait your american? Our holidays will differ then?

Portuguese, waiting to enter Uni, so, yes, holidays shall differ. You'll have time to switch your mods, tho, they're only being moved, not deleted ;)

What about the mods in the accepted mods section? Why haven't there been anymore moved to it recently??

You mean the approved mods? No other mod has met the required standards. Per example, the tombstone is there to represent a landmark; the fossil hunt, albeight for me it's useless, a lot of people find it indispensable; stuff of the sort. All other mods that should be there are on the CEP =P

Besides, that forum will be taken down and split into the Download forums categories.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Melea Lord » Tue, 2nd Oct 2007 22:21

Whoops. Sorry about that. It is right infront of me after all.

So I'll have to copy the topic from the development section to the completed mods section?? That isn't very hard.
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 3rd Oct 2007 11:12

Melea Lord wrote:So I'll have to copy the topic from the development section to the completed mods section?? That isn't very hard.

You'll have to modify the topic to comply and PM a staff member to move the topic for you ;)
And when submiting new mods the user will be subjected to a Moderator approval (this will prevent non-compliant topics from showing up)
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Melea Lord » Wed, 3rd Oct 2007 15:51

So before I post a mod I send a moderator a copy of my topic to be for aproval??
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 3rd Oct 2007 15:58

No, you write the mod and submit it, but it won't show up on the forum until a mod approves it.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Melea Lord » Wed, 3rd Oct 2007 16:00

I see. Why are you adopting this system??
Melea Lord
G.E.P. member
G.E.P. member

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 3rd Oct 2007 17:35

Melea Lord wrote:I see. Why are you adopting this system??

Because in the future, when the site kicks in, the downloads will be displayed in individual pages (replies will have to be clicked to be read), and to assure no uncompliant mods pass without our knowledge.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Next

Return to Site Press