Skinning Tutorial

All events related to Modding Genesis are posted here, be sure to check it out frequently!

Re: Skinning Tutorial

Unread postby Kovu » Fri, 28th Sep 2007 19:18

DarkLord wrote:That's open for debate, unless you're comparing what a free software is capable of compared to a (heavily) payed one.

Actually - no. I don't think so... as I haven't ever seen something in Photoshop you couldn't do with Gimp. It may be so if the Windows-compiled package doesn't come with the plugins which are usually included for Unix-Systems (hence, you'd have to download and install them yourself), but generally, Gimp is the only Image Manipulator setting no limits (though, I agree that you need to be a bit more programming-experienced to break certain limits you seem to have as a regular user, but those are not more than in the highly overpaid commercial programs).

DarkLord wrote:Personally, I prefer photoshop, yet, GIMP is easily my second choice, and definitely the best openSource around.

That, however, hasn't to be addressed to Gimp. That's primarily because Unix-philosophy (window-manager-wise) differs from Windows. Windows users generally have a problem with Gimp's multi-windows interface, as they don't figure out what comforts such an interface actually offers.

Talking about "OpenSource" on that field, I have to correct you: it's the only one. Other OpenSource solutions can't really do more than MS Paint.
Kovu
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: Voilà le tigre!

Re: Skinning Tutorial

Unread postby Legion » Fri, 28th Sep 2007 21:43

Kovu wrote:Actually - no. I don't think so... as I haven't ever seen something in Photoshop you couldn't do with Gimp. It may be so if the Windows-compiled package doesn't come with the plugins which are usually included for Unix-Systems (hence, you'd have to download and install them yourself), but generally, Gimp is the only Image Manipulator setting no limits (though, I agree that you need to be a bit more programming-experienced to break certain limits you seem to have as a regular user, but those are not more than in the highly overpaid commercial programs).

Or I'm just more used to using photoshop :P
But I do think GIMP's only advantage over PS is that it's free. Because we can't really count on plugins, those are avaiable for both programs, even if for PS you may have to pay, yet, for me, that isn't a problem ^_^
Kovu wrote:Other OpenSource solutions can't really do more than MS Paint.

Precisely ;)
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Previous

Return to Site Press