RPG Forum Closed

All events related to Modding Genesis are posted here, be sure to check it out frequently!

RPG Forum Closed

Unread postby Legion » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 17:49

The two month trial period has expired, and so, the RPG forum has been closed.

Since the goal of the RPG forum was to bring in new members, it failed miserably. And those who were posting on it were spamming too much, and due to their missconduct, and to the lack of a willing moderator to supervise the forum, we see no other option but to close it down.

Hope you guys have enjoyed this experiment.

And, to my staff peers, guess what guys? I was right, again :P
j/k ^_~
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Re: RPG Forum Closed

Unread postby Dark Star » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 17:54

DarkLord wrote:Since the goal of the RPG forum was to bring in new members.

The Five Deaths RPG had gotten two new members, and it had filled eight pages... Ah well, moving on to more important things. =P
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby Kovu » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 17:59

DarkLord wrote:And, to my staff peers, guess what guys? I was right, again :P

Honestly - while I never really saw a requirement for an RPG forum on this message board - how can you assume to get any "profit" (user-wise) in such a short time? RPG users don't just pop up because one decided to open an RPG section... it needs time to get established.
Kovu
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: Voilà le tigre!

Unread postby Legion » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 18:05

Kovu wrote:Honestly - while I never really saw a requirement for an RPG forum on this message board - how can you assume to get any "profit" (user-wise) in such a short time? RPG users don't just pop up because one decided to open an RPG section... it needs time to get established.

But, as you know, none of us has the time to supervise that particular forum, and the way it was going, was a bad one. I skimmed it from time to time and started finding too much spam, too many useless posts, and SE also said to not have the time to supervise it anymore, we can't have a forum going without a moderator to keep it clean, can we?
I told SE the RPG was in his hands, and he decided to terminate it. Unless you can point out someone you think to be capable and that has the time to supervise that forum, I don't see how we can keep it open.

DS wrote:The Five Deaths RPG had gotten two new members, and it had filled eight pages... Ah well, moving on to more important things. =P

I was talkin about new users to the website, not to the forum.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Dark Star » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 18:28

Will it ever open? I looked at the member list, and saw that on July, over 33 members had joined the site! Sadly, only a few of them were active. But look at me, I've been active ever since I've gotten here! :)
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby Legion » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 18:53

Dark Star wrote:Will it ever open? I looked at the member list, and saw that on July, over 33 members had joined the site! Sadly, only a few of them were active. But look at me, I've been active ever since I've gotten here! :)

I doubt it will, simply because we have no staff willing nor with the time to go through several pages of posts to check if everything's in order. If we find someone suitable to moderate that forum, we might reconsider.

Yet, you're missing the mark here, we made the forum to get new users to join, that was the only reason we created that forum, and it was failling, and since SE no longer had the time to supervise it, it had to be closed down.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby The Witch King » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 4:13

I won't shed any tears at that forums demise.
DarkLord wrote:Yet, you're missing the mark here, we made the forum to get new users to join, that was the only reason we created that forum, and it was failling, and since SE no longer had the time to supervise it, it had to be closed down.
Exactly. Those new members didn't come because of the forum.
The Witch King
Park Ranger
Park Ranger

User Title: Lord of the Nazgûl

Unread postby Tyrannosaurus Aegyptiacus » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 5:32

And an RPG forum was never going to attract new members. What attracts new members is what the site's main focus is.

Say I'm a lurker interested in modding. Do I join because of the RPG forum? No, I can't even see it. I join because I want to share my mods, and learn how to get to be better at modding.
The Wrath of Godzilla|[http://jurassicisland.ch/msgboard/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3174]Biollante, the Biological Horror[/url]
Tyrannosaurus Aegyptiacus
Herbivore
Herbivore

User Title: That one guy.

Unread postby Tetanurae Subspecies » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 7:31

The methods and aims listed don't work together- how do you expect a forum that guests can't see to attract new members?

And by "poor conduct", more specific, please? ryan was making multiple RPGs without enough players when there was already a suggestion topic. Is that what you mean? If not, what else?
I can see your hypocrisy.

Even if I don't bring it up.
Tetanurae Subspecies
Predator
Predator

User Title: Un-funny

Unread postby Legion » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 8:48

Tetanurae Subspecies wrote:The methods and aims listed don't work together- how do you expect a forum that guests can't see to attract new members?

I do believe the forum was guest-readable...
And by "poor conduct", more specific, please? ryan was making multiple RPGs without enough players when there was already a suggestion topic. Is that what you mean? If not, what else?

Spinotops comes to mind aswell.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Malice Synn » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 9:06

Oh yes, I enjoyed this 'little experiment'. And I'll tell you this: other people enjoyed it too. And I would like to continue enjoying it. See the last part of this post for what I'm gonna do about it.

I agree with Tetanurae Subspecies. Both of his statements. What misconduct? Like he said - the listed aims and methods do not work together. They just don't work. And no, the forum is not guest-readable, last time I checked. Maybe if you (one of the admins) made the Role Play forum visible to guests it would be more successfull?

From the time I joined, 3 days after the opening of the RPG forum, there have been 55 new members. But sadly, as said before, only about 1/3 of them are active. So why does it matter if it was the RPG forum that attracted them or not? I see the RPG forum as a place to hang out and post RPGs and convincing me and other RPers to visit more often and check out other recent things on the site as well.

Please excuse me if I accidentally go off topic...

DL, you're probably going to shoot this right of the sky, but I'll try anyway...

To the admins:

If you cannot find a suitable moderator for the RPG forum, or simply won't bother with the task, I'll apply for the position myself. What makes me a suitable candidate? I will support the RPG forum as much as I can. Though I do have school starting in 7 days, (on my birthday. [Happy Birthday for me...Only not.]) I can still devote a portion of my time each day to supervise and moderate the RPG forum and the actions of the people inside it. PM me if you decide on giving me the position. Please have the PM include instructions such as how often I have to visit, etc., etc. Thank you for your time.
I bother because of you; you're worth the bother. Oh, and, I can just change it back anyway, too.:P
hax.
I got the powah!
Chat signature is win. Nobody's this cool.
Except, you know, us. We're special!
Malice Synn
Feisty Herbivore
Feisty Herbivore

User Title: Anti-you

Unread postby Legion » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 9:54

We'll discuss it.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Tetanurae Subspecies » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 10:33

DarkLord wrote:Spinotops comes to mind aswell.

I remember he did a double-post in The Five Deaths, but what else?
DarkLord wrote:I do believe the forum was guest-readable...

Just a note, but I encountered a forum glitch that made the forum guest-readable for a little while- if I spent a bit of time elsewhere on the Internet (different window), when I posted the reply, I sometimes was logged out. This meant that I was a guest AND in a member-only forum. This sometimes made me have to login before viewing my post instead. And much earlier, elsewhere in the forum, I had to log in- but the post had vanished. So I had to retype the whole thing.
I can see your hypocrisy.

Even if I don't bring it up.
Tetanurae Subspecies
Predator
Predator

User Title: Un-funny

Unread postby dinofreindly » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 11:06

Also, i just logged off, looked at the forums above the GEP, but there was nothing there
And every time i came on the site as a Guest, the forums were not there
i wont bite, I promise, just feed me a pie or two or three. Make it alot
dinofreindly
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

Unread postby Legion » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 11:18

dinofreindly wrote:Also, i just logged off, looked at the forums above the GEP, but there was nothing there
And every time i came on the site as a Guest, the forums were not there

some forums are purposedly disabled to guests, tho.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Next

Return to Site Press