Your OG Review!

All events related to Modding Genesis are posted here, be sure to check it out frequently!

Your OG Review!

Unread postby Legion » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 17:07

Well, what can I say? I feel in a good mood, and, therefore, I'll be requesting your OG reviews!
Anyone can enter a review as long as you:
    Write readable english (no slang, and use of ponctuation)
    Write more than 4 paragraphes
    Don't use curse words
    Talk solely about the default game

After you write your review, you should add your rating - don't be biased, just be fair.
The rating should look like this:
Graphics: x/10
Gameplay: x/10
Audio: x/10
Replay Value: x/10
Overall: <average>/10
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

User Title: da webmastah!

Re: Your OG Review!

Unread postby Dark Star » Sun, 12th Aug 2007 18:25

What's a review? Anyway, here's mine:

JPOG, unmodded, is a good game. You had a variety of choices, build a park and manage, exercises and tutorials, action packed missions, or just simply sit back and watch the dinosaurs mingle with each other on a private island. The graphics were great, even with a low powered graphics card, in my opinion, it sure beat Zoo Tycoon 2. Unlike Zoo Tycoon, in OG, you had to do all these things, buy a fossil team, gather DNA, build a Hatchery, and then you could hatch a simple dinosaur. Their AI was pretty good, though I don't like carnivores just chasing after their prey, not planning an ambush.

The herbivores had interesting behavior. Once I was playing on a mission, I saw a small flock of Gallimimus, I checked their behavior and they were all super happy, except one, which was moderately happy. As the moderately happy chased the others, when it touched another Gallimimus, it turned super happy, like the others, and the one that got touched was now moderately happy. Could this be signs of playing tag? So they had interesting behavior.

Yes, yes, they had time restraints and budget cuts, but JPOG was one of the best Jurassic Park games ever. Its models were detailed with scales and their movement was magical, though it was the human models that disappoint me. I wish they worked on buildings from the movie, and skins from the movie, though we can already make those. The death duels were also neat, though it could have been a bit longer.

JPOG did give me a mixed feeling for it, I cannot explain it. The sounds that the dinosaurs made were cute, sometimes frightening. And the visitors! I could see their wonder and amazement as they pointed to the dinosaurs, clapped their hands, and talked to each other about the dinosaurs. The music was also magnificent, for instance, after a twister, the music fitted perfectly with my mood. Even replaying it, three years later, it was everything I remembered it to be, possibly even better.

Overall, it was a great game, with hidden things they didn't mention, preferably Gallimimus playing tag? Or death duels, they didn't mention that. Anyway, awesome game, too bad it didn't make it's popularity.

Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Audio: 7/10
Replay Value: 8/10
Overall: 7.6/10
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby Tyrannosaurus Aegyptiacus » Mon, 13th Aug 2007 4:35

Well, let's start at the beginning, shall we? :P

JPOG has good graphics. Not the best, by no means, but still, altogether good. They are highly-advanced for the time period the game was made in, and that goes well with me. I love to watch how the Tyrannosaur looks while hunting Edmontosaurs, how smooth it is... I like it. Only a few things about the graphics bug me, such as how horrid the people's faces look. Also, the Stegosaurus. Its face is pretty bad, too. All these things aside, graphics are very well-done, but in all honesty could be better.

The game itself, has many good gameplay styles, and, unmodded, leaves countless possibilities when in Operation Genesis mode itself. Site B mode, also has great gameplay, letting you fill your own island with dinosaurs of your choice. I love to sit back and watch as my Jurassic North America island settles into its own ecosystem. In Missions, there are many creative ideas, which games to day severely lack. The excersizes are key to making a five-star park in Operation Genesis mode, and explain the controls and what to do very well. I often find myself at the TV, while a friend plays the excersizes to find out how to play, which is much easier than explaining it myself. Sue me, I'm lazy. :P

Audio. Ouch. The Audio was fine for older computers, in fact, it was great. But, put in on a brand-new one, and it sucks by comparison. The music is dandy and fine, but doesn't give the same feel that the movies do. The sounds are the same way. I find myself waiting for up to ten minutes after my rex finishes a death duel, but the full victory roar never comes. And that's stupid. And then, there's the Dilophosaurus. What was Blue Tongue thinking when they made dilos- with the wrong sounds?

Replay value isn't that good either. Once you get a five-star park, it gets really boring. I find myself trying desperately trying to squeeze the last drops of fun from Operation Genesis mode, but, like orange juice, it never comes. BUT, Site B mode offers you some new ways to have fun with your dinosaurs by truly playing God, which is pretty dang fun.

Overall, JPOG is a fun game, even without mods. It truly was underestimated when it first arrived in stores, and I highly reccomend buying yourself a copy if you haven't yet.

Graphics: 7/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Audio: 8/10
Replay value: 7/10

Overall: 7.75/10
Last edited by Tyrannosaurus Aegyptiacus on Sun, 26th Aug 2007 0:04, edited 1 time in total.
The Wrath of Godzilla|[http://jurassicisland.ch/msgboard/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3174]Biollante, the Biological Horror[/url]
Tyrannosaurus Aegyptiacus
Herbivore
Herbivore

User Title: That one guy.

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 19:40

Ok, here's the reason I asked the reviews:

http://jurassicisland.ch/msgboard/game.php

warning: under construction...
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby TyrannoMatt » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 20:35

Looks good. I cant wait to see the finished page :D

Integrating the website with the forum.. very clever ^__^
TyrannoMatt
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 20:49

TyrannoMatt wrote:Integrating the website with the forum.. very clever ^__^

An advice? From webdesigner/programmer to another, don't try it. It's SUCH a load of work you barely have time for anything else.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby TyrannoMatt » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 20:56

Heh. The only reason I would think of doing that for me personally would be to keep the same members/users of my forum for a Member system on the actual website.

But dont worry I'll be designing my own CMS (even if it's rather basic XD) for JPL.

This does mean though, that all your pages for the MG site will be in the /msgboard/ directory though .. unless you put the Main site into the ROOT directory and still get your code working :)

Thanks for the advice.
TyrannoMatt
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 21:03

TyrannoMatt wrote:Heh. The only reason I would think of doing that for me personally would be to keep the same members/users of my forum for a Member system on the actual website.

If you were running with phpBB2 still I'd tell how you could integrate the user_login function on the website, but I don't know how that's done for vBulletin, tho.

This does mean though, that all your pages for the MG site will be in the /msgboard/ directory though .. unless you put the Main site into the ROOT directory and still get your code working :)

Not really, no. But I might if just for convenience(the index page will suffer quite some changes and I don't to have the trouble of redirecting the root/msgboard/index.php to root/index.php, even if it's so easy I think I could do it without a problem, except the dreadful browser compatibility issues...

Thanks for the advice.

No problem, just thought on giving the heads up as I'm now on several weeks of programming/designing the site/new template based on an old template...
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby TyrannoMatt » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 21:10

ATM I dont have any plans to make a Member System so I wont have to worry about delving into vBulletin code. heh.

My advice: Optimize it for Firefox lol

I know.. Internet Explorer *grits teeth* has a large share of the browser market, but as Im sure you're aware, Firefox is the future and well.. Im sure you are using Firefox too :lol:

It's just I agree with what you mean with "dreadful browser compatibility issues". It's something we have to consider but yeah, I dislike IE. And I dont make websites for IE. XD

I'll write up my own review you could use soon ^_^
TyrannoMatt
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby Legion » Wed, 15th Aug 2007 21:16

TyrannoMatt wrote:My advice: Optimize it for Firefox lol

You're forgetting Komodo, Opera, Safari...
It is being tested in FireFox, since it's my default and only browser (I don't even touch on IE), but, in theory, it's optimized to every browser (except IE 4 and below). I was taught by an old JP vet that a website to be properly viewed must be compatible with almost every desktop resolution and browser. Thankfully, the proSilver team already gave me very sound foundations for the v5.0 template so it -in theory- should work marvelously in most browsers.

I'll write up my own review you could use soon ^_^

nice ^_^

Oh, and TA, I didn't include your ratings because they didn't follow what I requested them to be like.
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby Venatosaurus » Thu, 16th Aug 2007 10:11

Well,I've got a review:
Graphics:
JPOG's graphics are amazing....No doubt about that,however the game isn't very computer friendly,In order to run the game with It's full graphics,you'll need to buy the latest in graphics cards if your computers pretty old.....Yet everything,right down to the way the grass moves,is wonderfully done,and the dinosaurs actually decay, adding to the realisem of the graphics..
9/10

Gameplay:
The gameplay It'self is fun at the beginning,with 12 missions ,exercises and OG Mode,which allow to relive the film..Yet unmodded,this all wears down....However Site B mode allows you to observe the way dinosaurs enteract with each other,
allowing for more interesting events to happen between the dinosaurs,however the islands are far too small,so eventually the carn's will meet the trikes,and BAM...No more carns...
7/10

Audio:
The games audio is surprisingly good,yet seeing as this is a Jurassic park game,the negatives out way the positives..
The sounds are barely what you would consider canon,very few of the sounds are from the films,and those don't actually make you feel like this is a Jurassic park game...The music is nice,yet more music from the films would have made it feel more film like...Oh,and WTF is up with the dilo?It's like the game makers thought "Hey lets make the dilos sound like mice to make them more fierce" For the animals that were'nt in the films,the sounds work well for them, but this is a jurassic park game,so it should feel more Jurassic park like....
6/10

Replay value:
After completing the missions and getting a 5 star park,the game loses some of it's replay value,Site B mode keeps you
playing though, and It's great to watch the animals live in the enviroment and interacting...Some of the missions are fun to play over and over again,and the exersises are fun to use and play again...Yet after that the game loses the feeling and diffcultey you once got from fist playing it...
7/10

Overall the game itself is a must have for anyonewho enjoys dinosaur games,the graphics are amazing,the animals look,sound and act real..The missions and site B mode give you a lot to do and the game,even unmodded,gives you a very fun dinosaur expirence...If you find this game it the store,then buy It, you won't regret it...
9/10
Venatosaurus
Harmless Carnivore
Harmless Carnivore

Unread postby Dark Star » Thu, 16th Aug 2007 17:34

DarkLord wrote:Ok, here's the reason I asked the reviews:

http://jurassicisland.ch/msgboard/game.php

warning: under construction...

You...you...used a poor little kid... for *sob* the site's needs... Yay! I'm a reviewer! :D
Dark Star
Colossus
Colossus

Unread postby TyrannoMatt » Thu, 16th Aug 2007 18:33

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, the game every budding John Hammond and Peter Ludlow needs.
This game aims to provide a gaming experience equal to creating your very own biological perserve for dinosaurs mixed with the fun and excitement of a theme park. People, welcome to Jurassic Park. You got 4 modes, one of these being an unlockable that you gain access to for being a good gamer. So lets talk about the main gameplay mode, Operation Genesis.

JPOG, being based on the legendary JP license and being aimed a mainstream audience keeps things simple. Making a island to start off with is as easy as adjusting some sliders and clicking the generate button. Rather useful and easy to use. Once into the game getting started and on the path to success is fast and simple too. With your helpful staff members being there to inform and notify you of anything important, your park is in great hands. Finding dinosaur DNA and creating them is a fun process, that cleverly makes use of what money you have earned. If you can afford it, you can make it. This is true to all Sim games of this type and JPOG doesn't go off the Sim game template much but does do a few things that are different and original. The basic premise of each park is this, create dinosaurs. Make attractions off them. Get visitors to come. Make money. Wonderful, welcome to the world of theme park business.

Dinosaurs. 25 of them to make and show off and admire. These include our favorites from the movies including some that werent mentioned in the films but still deserve attention. Getting dinosaurs into a park is never tiresome. Time consuming somethings because you have to send out dig teams, wait for their finds, extract the DNA and you gotta have 55% DNA to make them. The more DNA of a dinosaur, the longer it will live. Fantastic. Once they are made you are in control of making sure they are happy and the enclosures they are in are kept up to date and safe. Man and dinosaurs can meet each other protected by the safety of electric fences. safari cars, balloons and high vantage point platform towers etc Dinosaurs being animals of course need food and water and the AI of the dinosaurs is highly intelligent. They will hunt, feed, play, stalk,panic, sleep, roar, even leave their natural wastes behind. Truly spectacular sights to behold. And hear. Yes, these dinosaurs look great and sound great. Perfect. But whats the point in having dinosaurs if no one can see them? You need visitors!

Visitors. The lifeblood of Jurassic Park. Without visitors you aint making money, without money you aint making new dinosaurs and upgrading your park. You need visitors just as much as your visitors need dinosaurs to see. The AI of the visitors isnt as advanced as the dinosaurs. But Jurassic Park was never known for it's great stories about human nature or the ability of people to look at dinosaurs. But they are people, and they have needs. Toliets, food, souvenirs, these are important to provide as much as the dinosaurs and paying attention to visitors happiness is as important as taking care of the dinosaurs. Also to note is the cameos from popular JP film characters in the staff. Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler, John Hammond, Ray Arnold, Dr Wu, Robert Muldoon, etc Characters that were related to the creation and running of JP of the original Isla Nublar. Realism is high but could be higher in this game. Visitors get to experience dinosaurs close but not too close. Jurassic Park and it's attractions do the trick.

Attractions, those wonderful things that make JP a theme park. The dinosaurs bring the entertainment, attractions let them enjoy the entertainment. Some are available from the beginning. Others have to be researched to create. Some attractions fit onto fences.. others travel around enclosures letting visitors get close and personal.

Other things to enjoy in Operation Genesis mode includes researching new items for your park. Setting up Ranger stations to take care of dinosaurs. Buying fossils from the fossil market. So much to do and take part in. If you want to get to away from the world of business and park building, you can always do a Mission. Or if you need help with park building, take part in the exercises. These are basic and advanced lessons in helping you to learn how to build and manage a park. The basic ones give step by step instructions while the more advanced ones are about building specific parks to certain objectives. One of the exercises allows you to play with the original Isla Nublar and recreate it's dinosaur population. Amazing.

Theres 10 missions to choose from. These range from taking photographs of dinosaurs, to stopping rampaging carnivores, rescue missions, or herding herbivores to safety. These are a way to get take part in some direct action without first building a park and waiting for disaster to strike. Some are easy to do, others will take skill to complete. There is replayability in some of them. Some will help to develop skills you can use in Operation Genesis mode (like certain missions will improve your ranger retiring skills). Others are fun for seeing what interesting scenes you can witness. Completing all 10 Missions unlocks Site B mode.

Site B mode is the Sandbox mode of the game. No objectives to meet, no visitors to please. Just a island filled with whatever dinosaurs you like. To observe and care for. This mode is kind of like a fish tank. Select a dinosaur and leave the game running as the camera follows it around. My favourite mode personally.

Thats the gameplay of JPOG described. Also to note is the cool Dinopedia. This in-game encyclopedia gives information on dinosaurs, inGen's goals for Jurassic Park and plenty of other useful information.

Graphics: 8/10 - Some of the best graphics seen in a JP game. Nowadays will seem aged, but for their time were quite decent.
Gameplay: 9/10 - The best JP game ever released. It isnt perfect and theres room for improvement. But for a pure park building experience, you cant go wrong.
Audio: 10/10 - With a custom made soundtrack based on the film soundtracks and dinosaur sounds based on those in the films plus new ones, the best audio in a dinosaur game I've heard in a while.
Replay Value: 10/10 - Theres always something new to do in Operation Genesis mode. The Exercises might be used once and then never again,especially the basic ones. The Missions are good for some relief from the Simulation mode and are worth replaying.
Overall: 9.25/10 - Not the perfect JP game yet. But closer then other games have come. I love JPOG. I recommend it to any JP or dinosaur fans.
TyrannoMatt
Friendly Herbivore
Friendly Herbivore

Unread postby Legion » Thu, 16th Aug 2007 19:35

Now that's a review, Matt! Great work man ^_^
Legion
Park Admin
Park Admin

Unread postby TyrannoMatt » Thu, 16th Aug 2007 19:46